Rapid heater core failure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It went from a suspected smell of coolant from vents to blowing smoke out of the vents overnight! Looks like I have a leaking heater core... and I'm supposed to move tomorrow! Looks like I'll be taking my little s10 pickup and have to come back next week and fix it. My plan is to have the ac evacuated by a shop and do the rest myself using an oem core from Jeep. I'll do my best to take photos of the job, and any insight going in is obviously appreciated!

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can bypass the core and drive the truck. There will be no heating though.

There are two hoses going trough the firewall on the passenger side top. The one closer to the driver is the inlet hose. If you take it off an plug it you should be fine after that.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can bypass the core and drive the truck. There will be no heating though.

There are two hoses going trough the firewall on the passenger side top. The one closer to the driver is the inlet hose. If you take it off an plug it you should be fine after that.

That won't work. Even though it's the inlet, it's a pressurized system and will pour coolant out the other hose. Both must be plugged, or simply connected to each other.

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That won't work. Even though it's the inlet, it's a pressurized system and will pour coolant out the other hose. Both must be plugged, or simply connected to each other.

Bob

Yep. Could get one of these: Heater Core Repair Bypass Kit 3 4" x 3 4" Hose | eBay

They have 5/8 too. Not sure of our hose diameter. I carry one in my Ranger cause the heater core is getting iffy and it too involves major surgery to get to it.

Latest posts

Members online