Rancho shock noise????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepzilla

Reaction score
Hey all, Hope everyone had a great Holiday!
Ok so a couple of weeks ago I had a Daystar spacer lift an Rancho 5000's installed all around. The set-up works ok but now I'm getting a noise that sounds like a bike pump? ( closest thing I could think of that sounds like it ). It sounds like the rears. I've never had shocks blow on me before and I've never had Rancho's, just Bilstiens an KYB's. Is this normal or should I take it back to the shop? I don't notice to much differance in the ride but then again it happend pretty soon after the install so not much eval time...

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Not familiar with the Daystar,would guess its the lift settling in,if shocks are blown you should see oil on them or it where the rod goes in the body.

jeepzilla

Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are installed up or down, I had them installed. on KJ's should the body or the piston rod side be up?? I will look as soon as I get a chance to. Would that cause the hissing ( bike pump ) sound??

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are installed up or down, I had them installed. on KJ's should the body or the piston rod side be up?? I will look as soon as I get a chance to. Would that cause the hissing ( bike pump ) sound??
Yes the rear shocks being installed upside down can make that noise.Below is a pic of how Rancho's should be installed,the body is pointed down.
You must be registered for see images attach

jeepzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. I got a chance to look quick today and what I see leads me to a question, do the rancho 5000's look like the picture you put up ( meaning exposed piston rod ). If so then the shocks are mounted correctly, only difference from pic is there is a shock boot over the piston side and the body is pointing down. I did not look under the boot but it was pointing up. What else should I look for. I can try to snap some pics if it will help.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Hope everyone had a great Holiday!
Ok so a couple of weeks ago I had a Daystar spacer lift an Rancho 5000's installed all around. The set-up works ok but now I'm getting a noise that sounds like a bike pump? ( closest thing I could think of that sounds like it ). It sounds like the rears.
Since the shocks are installed correctly maybe the noise is air being 'pumped' in and out of the boots, perhaps a small hole in one or both of them? When I installed my 5000s I left the boots off mostly because of habit - even with my motorcycles if they had the boots on the front forks I would take them off (just liked the look better).

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not absolutely sure but I think the sound you hear is the fluid inside the shock going through the valve orifices. Have you ever played with one of those new/old shock displays at older auto parts stores? The new shock makes a noise like water inside your gym shoes. I have brand new RSX's and I get the same noise from the rear shocks going over speed bumps and such.

jeepzilla

Reaction score
No I haven't got a chance to see one of those displays. I do like your description of the noise being like wet sneakers, it is sorta like that! My biggest question was if the shocks blew already, I haven't wheeled it yet so it hasn't seen anything worse then a speed bump or snow piles....

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the shocks the larger ones for the Durango. If so the sleeve the bolt rides in is slightly larger than the stock shocks and not as wide. The shock is bouncing a little on the bolt so you have to put some washers in the upper shock towers to help eliminate the noise.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I haven't got a chance to see one of those displays. I do like your description of the noise being like wet sneakers, it is sorta like that! My biggest question was if the shocks blew already, I haven't wheeled it yet so it hasn't seen anything worse then a speed bump or snow piles....

I think everything is cool. If they were blown there would be shock fluid running down the body.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWfFiKBxSc

jeepzilla

Reaction score
Thanks guys, all these posts are very helpful. The shocks are for a KJ not the Durango. I guess my biggest concern was if the shocks where bad. I can deal with the noise, just don't want a problem with the performance.

Latest posts

Members online