radio suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, first posting here. Didn't think it would be a radio sort of question, but you play the cards your delt right. Anyway... I purchased a 2006 Liberty with a stock headunit (am/fm/cd) and personally, it *****. My old 99 ford explorers radio would never reach 3/4 with the volume and it was LOUD. This thing gets to 28 (out of what, 30?) before I think it is "within range". So, what has everyone done to upgrade their weak radio system. I didn't want to install an entire radio/speaker system but I need more volume and a bit more bass out of what I have to work with. I was thinking a Pioneer DEH-2100IB because it has an internal amp and won't over power stock speakers. But since I am new to the Jeep world being a ford guy for about 20yrs I figured I'd go to the experts on what works and what doesn't. I appreciate any help/info I can get,

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd wait until I could replace the HU and speakers at the same time.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I just replaced mine, and it was VERY easy, with the install kit, and all necessary adapters! I only need a small amp for the two tube sub-woofers I got...

I bought a 180 watt (power, not RMS) head unit from Wal*Mart for 80.00 on sale, with SD card slot, USB port, and Aux port. I bought an install kit, wiring harness adapter, and antenna adapter, wired all that up to the head unit. Total, it ran me $111.00 for everything. I Pulled the stock radio; then the new one. I plugged in the header to the adapter, plugged in the antenna into the adapter, and installed the radio, looks fantastic. Took no more than an hour dude... Nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon, install a new radio. Now, ALL, and I mean ALL my music, comedy, and misc stuff are on three SD cards! I don't quite like the way it navigates the SD card, and doesn't retain where I was last when I turn everything off, but, I can deal with it...

The FR speaker wire came out of the crimp Monday... Fixed in the Bog Lots parking lot...

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the jvc KDG340 at best buy for only 100 bucks and it was easy to install and way better then factory and it fits really nice. i only put the volume at 35 outta 50 and its really loud. if u have an mp3 player it has an auxillary jack for it or for an extra 20 bucks u can get the adapter that charges it while playing

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the aftermarket unit make a nice difference in sound quality?

I am debating picking up up a decent pioneer unit. I can get the radio and the necessary installation items for just over $100. I am trying to justify the purchase. ;)

I do have a sub in the car, and I am not using it to it's potential with the stock HU. I also would like the aux input for my mp3 player.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

I am debating picking up up a decent pioneer unit. I can get the radio and the necessary installation items for just over $100. I am trying to justify the purchase. ;)

I do have a sub in the car, and I am not using it to it's potential with the stock HU. I also would like the aux input for my mp3 player.

I have a Pioneer headunit available. ;)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, if you have premium sound package. Stock HU is very limited in tweaking sound.

ITF36059

Reaction score

Absolutely. I have an Alpine iDA-X100 head and replaced all the 6 1/4 speakers with pioneers. Ihas made a huge difference. If you get the reciever at Crutchfeld, they will supply you with the mounting adapter, wiring harness and antenna adapter. Also you'll get a set of directions. Once you have the wiring harness assembled the HU can be installed in minutes (5 screws). speakers take a little longer. The upgrade is well worth the investment.