Radiator fan upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlocascio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 v6 liberty with hd cooling. Was wondering if anyone has upgraded their electric fan for a better performing one. My AC struggles to cool at idle, had the system checked out and all is fine. I'd like to get more airflow over the condenser to keep me cool at idle or low speed. Temps in the summer here are regularly over 110 degrees. Any suggestions?

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pusher fan may help. Buy I find out if you have the 2speed electric fan first. I have the HD cooling also. At idle when the electric fan is on it turns slower then when I turn on the AC it speeds up. There is a 2speed relay that might have gone bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try replacing the relays for the fan. Second if you want to have better cooling you can do the radiator fan hack I did. It will allow you to control the speed of the radiator fan.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 which is probably closest to your jeep. I have the tow package which includes the clutch fan.
This means I have the clutch fan and the single speed electric radiator fan as you do.

Same issue when idle as you, it doesn't cool.

I don't think you can use the 2 speed fan cause the existing fan relay is controlled by the PCM.

I just live with it, unfortunately.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try replacing the relays for the fan. Second if you want to have better cooling you can do the radiator fan hack I did. It will allow you to control the speed of the radiator fan.

Isn't your hack just to bypass the PCM and turn on either the high speed or low speed?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '02 and '03 fans (and maybe '04's) have single speed e-fans. Later models have two-speed fans.

Pull the plug for your fan. If it has two prongs it is single speed; if it has three prongs it is a two-speed fan. You can't change to a two-speed fan if it's single speed since the control is through the BCM.

Bob

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, my fan hack allows me to bypass the jeeps computer. I can also choose to let the jeeps computer control the fan. I have also been able to trick the jeeps computer into not throwing a check engine light. I also have the two speed fan.

nlocascio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually wondering if adding another electric fan would help. Or possibly replacing current electric fan with a higher airflow one and use an external fan controller

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they have electric fan kits to replace the viscous fan.
I don't know how well that works.

The other thing i can think of are those water mist kits that spray the rad/condenser which could keep the temperature down.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would replace the existing fan with a two speed fan. Then I would buy a two speed fan controller.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 v6 liberty with hd cooling. Was wondering if anyone has upgraded their electric fan for a better performing one. My AC struggles to cool at idle, had the system checked out and all is fine. I'd like to get more airflow over the condenser to keep me cool at idle or low speed. Temps in the summer here are regularly over 110 degrees. Any suggestions?

Ever think there might be a issue with your AC system?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"HD cooling" refers to the radiator fan(s), the heater/AC blower fan is what affects AC flow.
You may have an obstruction (dirt, leaves, sticks, stones, dead animals, etc) before or after the heater core, reducing your air flow.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i had my AC system redone entirely except for the evap,
Still didn't work that well at idle.

No automotive AC system does worth a damn at idle,regardless of the fan used to pull air through the condenser.

Say at my shop when it's 90 degrees ambient temp a perfectly operating AC system may drop the temp to the center vents to 55 degrees,take it out on the road at 35mph and those temps now drop to 45 degrees without any fan running.

nlocascio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that, but i do at times. Keep engine rpm at 1200 and cools down much faster. AC system was serviced and was ok. I just think it's not pulling enough air over condenser when not moving. Once moving AC is fine even at lower rpms. Seems like Chrysler knew it was an issue and thats why they upgraded relay and to a two speed. I was eventually going to get a better electric fan, given that OEM doesn't always mean it does the job well, OEM is what does the bare minimum and saves them cash. And it's not too hot here, just right, talk to me again in the winter lol And just a side note, love Jeeps, Chrysler not so much. I know it's made by them, but a Jeep is all it's own, except those new low to the ground ones. Those aren't Jeeps.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters what e-fan you get.
The speed is controlled by a PWM signal from the PCM to the fan relay which is just a solid state relay.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 02 is ice cold and never had it serviced. Humid 92 degrees F today and wicked cold even at idle. Can't even run it at max. I do have the clutch fan (HD cooling) but my 02 only has the single speed efan.

nlocascio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My AC does fine up to 105, after that it struggles. I know that's hot but other cars are better. I still think it's not designed that well for higher heat. May try upgrades is future. Right now, no money lol thanks for the input

Last edited: