Radiator Failure. Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the original radiator in my stock KJ. So thats only 7 years of service / 82K miles and now the raditor has developed the common hairline fracture in the endcap and is leaking. What a cheaply constructed radiator...

Has anyone swapped the radiator with the HD cooling package? I know that the mechanical fan has to come off to pull the shroud - but I don't have the tool to do it. Should I tackle this job or pay someone else?

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've read that the radiator install isn't too bad on the KJ, if you have the room/tools you could save the money and probably do it yourself.

For the HD cooling upgrade, I thought the earlier models already came with a beefier radiator than the newer models. I thought it had something to do with the external cooler to the transmission, while the newer models have the internal cooler for the 42RLE. That might make the job slightly more complicated.

Just thinking out loud, I've never changed a radiator in a KJ before...

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's getting the mechanical fan off the waterpump pully [without the correct wrench] that bothers me. The whole proceedure wouldn't be too hard at all, as I am pretty mechanically inclined.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the wrench need to be extra thin or something? I dont have the mech fan on my kj so idk what it looks like but I know on our Ram with the 4.7 you would need nothing more than a big adjustable wrench.

The kj's with the 45rfe has a cool IN the rad while the kj's with the 42rle do not. If you want extra cooling(and have the 42rle) it would be a good time to get the rad with the internal cooling.

Edit: since you have the 45rfe you have the internal cooler. Not sure if the kj uses those annoying snap connectors or what but dont forget to top the ****** fluid off.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the wrench need to be extra thin or something? I dont have the mech fan on my kj so idk what it looks like but I know on our Ram with the 4.7 you would need nothing more than a big adjustable wrench.

The kj's with the 45rfe has a cool IN the rad while the kj's with the 42rle do not. If you want extra cooling(and have the 42rle) it would be a good time to get the rad with the internal cooling.

Edit: since you have the 45rfe you have the internal cooler. Not sure if the kj uses those annoying snap connectors or what but dont forget to top the ****** fluid off.

If one rad has internal cooling and the other has an external ****** cooler then the ****** lines hook up different. Better to just get the right radiator so it will be an easy hook up. Just a thought.

Dave

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped the KJ off at the dealer today. Will update after the KJ is back together.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ survived it's very short stay at the dealer.

Break Down:
$330.00 for the Mopar Radiator
+ 2 hours of labor
New coolant and a touch of transmission fluid

= 510.xx + tax out the door.

Expensive Yes. But it's fixed.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The KJ survived it's very short stay at the dealer.

Break Down:
$330.00 for the Mopar Radiator
+ 2 hours of labor
New coolant and a touch of transmission fluid

= 510.xx + tax out the door.

Expensive Yes. But it's fixed.

Similar to what I paid, and it cracked 10 months later once again, replaced again with $100 deductible off the warranty.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has your 3rd replacement served longer than 10 months or it under that 10 month window still? I am wondering myself how long I'll get out of the new radiator. 10 Months - 7 years... Ugh!

I'll keep checking my radiator every week now (at the gas pump probably) to keep an eye out for any more sweet smelling trouble dribbling down to the ground.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
2 hours of labor to put a radiator in?

Book time is 1.3 ITBJRC...Unless you've got HD cooling...which might add 2/10

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
500 for a dealer sounds decent compared to what I've seen around here. My father in law's ram was almost 800. Worse yet they had to do it 3 times for defects...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has your 3rd replacement served longer than 10 months or it under that 10 month window still? I am wondering myself how long I'll get out of the new radiator. 10 Months - 7 years... Ugh!

I'll keep checking my radiator every week now (at the gas pump probably) to keep an eye out for any more sweet smelling trouble dribbling down to the ground.

No, it has not been 10 months yet.

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish only 510 dollars

at 99k miles I changed my own cracked radiator - what a pain ,,,,,the radiator was $238 at auto zone....its pretty tight on the sides and a little difficult to get out...I decided to do the water pump as well as I do 300 miles a week commuting ,,,,,then I had the bright idea to put in a new thermostat in OOOOFFFFA ! The lower bolt snapped off in the block at the plastic thermostat housing....I ended up drilling it out after many many hrs ...all told I have about $300 in the 3 parts and seriously 12-13 hrs in this nightmare....looking back if somebody had said 510 dollars I would have jumped at it..... 7 year old vehicle = IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT !!!!...and I agree this IS one of the cheapest wimpiest radiators I have ever seen .... J. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radiador develped the hair cracked last week and I fixed it with some epoxy cuz I was gonna get the radiador saturday and do it over the weekend, well, last night it gave up again, so I just parked the kj in my driveway and started to drive the 95 lebaron spare car we have, I called autozone and it was around 240 so I'll do that over the weekend, I replaced the t-stat about 6Kmiles ago and the water pump 3K miles ago so now at 150K is the radiator, but I think I'll do it my self

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with Rockauto.com. They have the same parts as Autozone, but a new Spectra or Proliance radiator is $115.79 (for a 2005) plus $7.52 for shipping (to CT). They ship very quickly, and you can always find a 5% off "coupon" online.
Bruce

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto Rock auto is a fantastic company to deal with ,,,I just had the radiator let go on the way home from work and advance had one in stock in my neighborhood so I went with them (urgency) .....J

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
500 for a dealer sounds decent compared to what I've seen around here. My father in law's ram was almost 800. Worse yet they had to do it 3 times for defects...

Thats insane! Have you ever looked at those? You open the hood and the rad is sitting there looking at you.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto Rock auto is a fantastic company to deal with ,,,I just had the radiator let go on the way home from work and advance had one in stock in my neighborhood so I went with them (urgency) .....J

If may I know, how much was it at advamce?