Rad time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noticed some coolant leaking today
so I guess I will be putting a rad in,
how hard it is on an 02

I guess I have to disconnect the trans cooler lines, what about the ac, does it need discharged first?

thanks for any advice

driver side/top of the rad, near the upper hose
You must be registered for see images attach

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a Youtube video on how to do it >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFtJr9r2rI

The OEM radiators have plastic ends on them.. Might want to see if an aftermarket application is available like all Aluminum.. Griffen's are glued together so dont go with them. Several other companies out there.. Those plastic radiators are about as bad as the plastic window regulator. Its gonna break, just a matter of when..

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did mine last night same problem. Trans lines come off and just tuck out of the way. I left my A/C condenser hooked up no problem. Pulled the grill off and the cross bar that the hood latch is attached to. Hardest part was getting the bolts out for the radiator. They just take some time cause you cant get large turns on them. All in all not too bad. Not the easiest one I have ever done but definitely not the worst.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did mine last night same problem. Trans lines come off and just tuck out of the way. I left my A/C condenser hooked up no problem. Pulled the grill off and the cross bar that the hood latch is attached to. Hardest part was getting the bolts out for the radiator. They just take some time cause you cant get large turns on them. All in all not too bad. Not the easiest one I have ever done but definitely not the worst.

good to know, thanks guys

@SabaII where did you get your rad from,

thanks

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on my third. Easy enough to do just keep an eye on you airbag sensors. Lol. I broke a clip off one of mine. Your best bet for a rad is autozone. Good quality and have not had any issues with it yet. My second was from dealership and broke that one about 30k into it. This one I am at about 37k roughly. Not too bad for me and my wheeling lol. Sitting at 133k miles ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well got the rad changed out, wasn't too bad, took about 2hrs

the hardest part i had was getting the bolts on the rad, there is that rubber splash sheild covering them that I had too pull off to even see them, and then I had to loosen most of the front to get the little clips that the ac sits on so that the rubber would pull off of the clips(the ac removed no problem, pick up and it was off, but that Dang Rubber was on there good,
other then that, no problem,

glad I read on hear about taking the battery/tray out, I did that to start the whole thing, made it much easier

I got the rad from advance auto, I called the store, they said they had one in stock for 202 and some change, I looked online, they had it for 174.99 I used the coupon code visa got 50$ off, then I picked up at the same store I had called, got it for 124.99 plus tax, I already had the Zerex G-05

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Our KJ is in the same boat as of today!
There is a microscopic hairline crack on the front,
drivers side corner about 1.5 inches from the top
of the radiator.

Time to buy a replacement radiator.
What all is involved to install a 2002 rad with the built in transmission cooler?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Who makes the best replacement radiator for the KJ?

I'd like to buy a replacement radiator that doesn't use plastic tanks!
Preferably aluminium or copper.
Any part numbers that you folks have handy?
I am looking at an OMIX-ADA Part # 1710136 ($345.18)from Rock Auto.
But their site does not have any info on that part number.
I'll call them first thing in the morning and speak to an actual human being!

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like this makes three of us, mine has the same crack,leak. Went to NAPA and purchased a replacement, will do the install this week. My KJ has the external trans cooler, all the replacement rads have the internal cooler, just plug the openings.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, but I want to use the in rad ****** cooler.
Better cooling than the air to fluid cooler.

Ryan, did you get info on that all-aluminum rad? I'm curious what you found out and whether or not it has the in-rad ****** cooler.

As you know I want to use both the '02-style in-rad cooler and a standalone to keep my 42RLE happy - or at least happy-er. :gr_grin:

Let us know what you find out...

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you go 100% custom made or adapt another radiator to fit you will be stuck with plastis side tanks no matter what brand the radiator is.If it say's it fits a KJ it will have plastic side tanks.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the brand honestly. I got it from my aunt and uncle who own a radiator shop in KC. Had it sent to my door for 66 bucks. Now my 02 has the rad trans cooler and an external too. Sounds like you guys are saying it was one or the other.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the brand honestly. I got it from my aunt and uncle who own a radiator shop in KC. Had it sent to my door for 66 bucks. Now my 02 has the rad trans cooler and an external too. Sounds like you guys are saying it was one or the other.

I want to have both - and with a replacement rad for my '03 that has the in-rad cooler I will simply run the lines from the ****** to the in-rad, out to the external cooler then back to the ******. Keep things nice and cool in the summer and warm up the ****** faster in the winter on those COLD mornings. I think that's Ryan's intent too...

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what company makes the best aftermarket radiator for the KJ?
Or are they all the same with a different part number?
They all seem like there made in the same factory in China but just in a different box from the ones I've put in my KJ and ones I've done at work all have the same marks just different boxes.

I got fed up with them and bought a OEM one that is made in Canada(or Mexico) and has out lasted the last 3 aftermarket radiators combined.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
They all seem like there made in the same factory in China but just in a different box from the ones I've put in my KJ and ones I've done at work all have the same marks just different boxes.

I got fed up with them and bought a OEM one that is made in Canada(or Mexico) and has out lasted the last 3 aftermarket radiators combined.

Ya, I too am partial to OEM parts...

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted Griffin Rad. a while back,they can do all Alum. for about $700. Think they said that was a 3 core.