Quick ?/spare tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04BLKRENEGADE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I consider myself pretty knowledgable but don't profess to know it all. I have a '04 renegade running a 265/75 bfg a/t. I got gas this morning and the attendent informed me not to run my stock spare tire under any circumstances. (still have the stock renegade 235 on the back). He stated i could ruin my t/case or rear if i even drive for a mile. I don't think this is correct. I have it just in case i get a flat. I know not to drive hard or burn out, but the difference in size should not matter that much right? no locker or limited slip. I know the circumfirance is different but would it ruin the spider gears in the rear? i would think space savers on cars would have the same problem then...keeping my libby in 2wd of course. Furthermore, anyone running different tire pressure on all 4 matching size tires would runn into the same issue as well right? let me know if this is possible to still use the stock size spare for emergency reasons until i save up enough for a full size matching spare..just trying to think this through logically and doesn't seem to hold agua...thanks.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I consider myself pretty knowledgable but don't profess to know it all. I have a '04 renegade running a 265/75 bfg a/t. I got gas this morning and the attendent informed me not to run my stock spare tire under any circumstances. (still have the stock renegade 235 on the back). He stated i could ruin my t/case or rear if i even drive for a mile. I don't think this is correct. I have it just in case i get a flat. I know not to drive hard or burn out, but the difference in size should not matter that much right? no locker or limited slip. I know the circumfirance is different but would it ruin the spider gears in the rear? i would think space savers on cars would have the same problem then...keeping my libby in 2wd of course. Furthermore, anyone running different tire pressure on all 4 matching size tires would runn into the same issue as well right? let me know if this is possible to still use the stock size spare for emergency reasons until i save up enough for a full size matching spare..just trying to think this through logically and doesn't seem to hold agua...thanks.

I think that limited distance while driving slow (under 50ish) would be fine. Cars have the donut tires all over the place and it doesn't tear anything up. The open diff is engineered to handle spinning at different speeds. I just wouldn't put a 1000 miles on it or anything.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is right and wrong
you should be ok for maybe 20 miles with no damage
but not much more as that is a big size difference
the biggest issue comes with getting a flat and needing 4wd
or putting the little tire up front and getting on the highway

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I got new rubber for mine a few weeks ago and my friend (who is the store manager) told me that I should come back and get the matching spare. He never did really tell me why, invited me to poker at his house, and told me he would explain later (He gives me wicked good deals so wants to get me in and out as fast as possible). I skipped the poker night so I never found out why.

I never thought about the doughnut on cars, but it's a good point. Maybe since the suspension/drive train in a Jeep is different from a import car there is more risk of damage when the tire sizes don't match.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He is right and wrong
you should be ok for maybe 20 miles with no damage
but not much more as that is a big size difference
the biggest issue comes with getting a flat and needing 4wd
or putting the little tire up front and getting on the highway

agree short distance is all I would do.
compare the 265-75 at almost 32 inches tall compared to the 235-70 which is only about 29 inches tall, even half of that is quite a difference. OH plus you would look funny !!!:eek::D:D
The space saver spares are only for short distances as well and under 50 MPH

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and, the space saver donut tires should ideally be on the non-drive axle. On a FWD, if a flat occurs on the front wheel, you'd want to put the donut on the rear, and then the good rear tire on the front.

That's the "problem" with a 4x4. 2 differentials, so all 4 tires need to be the same size. Otherwise, on 2wd, only the drive axle needs to have the same sized tires.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It would suffice only to get to the tire shop to get the same size tire but back on.

asuwins

Reaction score
KK Spare Tire

Does anyone know the maximum size the spare tire can be and still fit in the spare tire well under the 2009 KK?