Quick Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajaiello85

Reaction score
Hey fellas-

I have a concern I hope you guys can help me clear up. I have an 03 Liberty renegade. When I step on the gas to accelerate I hear a noise almost like metal grinding against metal if that makes any sense. I dont hear it during idle or deacceleration though. I dont have any CEL either.
Also, after my jeep warms when I turn the steering wheel I can hear a squeeling, it's not liek a belt slipping noise though. It's just a lot noisier than I know it should be. The power steering fluid is fine too. Maybe a pully is starting to fail? Thanks in advance for the info guys.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of things to check
rear joint/boot on the front driveshaft
idler pulleys / belt tensioner
there are other items but check those first

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it make the noise when in park and giving it the gas?

if not, check your brakes. rear calipers have a tendency to lock up.

ajaiello85

Reaction score
does it make the noise when in park and giving it the gas?

if not, check your brakes. rear calipers have a tendency to lock up.

Ya I get the noise while in park and giving it gas. I'm leaning towards the pullies and tensioner. I planned on doing my oil this weekend. So ill probably do those two things as well.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can eliminate anything from the trans back as a culprit.

Likely serpentine related, maybe even loose torque converter bolts/flexplate bolts or cracked flexplate

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing. I see that there are two different kits. One with two pullys that are 90mm and another with a 90mm and 76mm pully. Is is fair to assume that the latter is for the 4 cyl engine?

Wow, I should know this off the top of my head but I believe one pulley is bigger than the other. The ribbed is smaller - the one on the left as you're looking at the front of the engine.

I'd check mine but I'm not home so no way to go in the garage and check...

Bob

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i've seen, smaller pulley goes on w ith mechanical fan and larger without mechanical fan.

same serpentine belt, from what i know.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.