Quick Question...re: Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
When driving forward at slow speeds...or when stopped and making a U-Turn at slow speeds...

It feels like the front end has resistance...like if coasting it would actually slow me down if turning.

Is this due to the front end always being locked in...just not engaged (4x4)?

Seems like my old Toyota Tacoma felt this way when in four wheel drive and making slow turns.

Sometimes it almost feels like my emergency brake is dragging or something...but its all in the front end like its still engaged or something. But no PART TIME light is on. And it doesn't jerk around like I would think it would in 4x4 on dry ground.

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT...

Clark

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 (or is it x2? :D) Same thing happens to me, but I thought it was a either a Jeep thing or a 4x4 thing (I can't tell b/c is my first 4WD)... First I thought that only happen after I disconnected the 4Hi-FT... but turns out that happens all the time... It's just that I only noticed it when try a maneuver who needs the maximum turn ratio (moving forward o backwards)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, with the disconnect being in the transfer case the entire front drive assembly turns freely when moving - wheels, differential, and front propeller shaft are all there just spinning their little hearts out. All this does cause some drag on the front but I've never really paid attention to it.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. NO NEED TO WORRY MYSELF THEN.

Thats great. mj.gif

Clark

Big A

Reaction score
I am glad you asked the question, As i was wondering the same thing...

Another...

Related to the Ice thread i started, When ioi make a turn in 2wd on ice, I can feel the front tend to bind slightly, And cause the front tires to slide across the ice, But not really... Hard to explain.

When in Full Time, I can feel the front grabbing when turning, Even under no acceleration. Feels quirky to me, But this is my first Jeep, So this might be all normal stuff.
My previous ride was a Nissan Titan 4wd, And didnt experience any of these symptoms except for binding on dry roads, Which was a no no. :rolleyes:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
no grinding, its just that on dry pavement when im really cutting it hard it feels almost like its in 4x4, but nowhere near as pronounced. i remember somethjing similar on my 78 blazer. but its reassuring to see that im not the only one to notice it.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ioi make a turn in 2wd on ice, I can feel the front tend to bind slightly, And cause the front tires to slide across the ice, But not really... Hard to explain.

When in Full Time, I can feel the front grabbing when turning, Even under no acceleration. Feels quirky to me, But this is my first Jeep, So this might be all normal stuff.

I was in a underground parking lot in my city, and when I moved forward with a full turn lock, I felt the front tires sliding... and (more than) once when I was in 4Hi-FT over dry pavement (moving backwards / full turn lock) I felt like the handbrake was engaged... kinda hard to explain... like the front axle was pushing/dragging a braked/locked rear axle :confused:

gordymills

Reaction score
check the alignment. Mine was doing that, but after I got the alignment done, it stopped. When I got my tires, they put the car on the rack and if it didn't need an alignment, they dont charge you for it. If you know anyone at a tire place, see if they can put it up on the rack and just check it. couldnt hurt.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the alignment. Mine was doing that, but after I got the alignment done, it stopped. When I got my tires, they put the car on the rack and if it didn't need an alignment, they dont charge you for it. If you know anyone at a tire place, see if they can put it up on the rack and just check it. couldnt hurt.

My KJ has made only 1.500KM since the last alignment.

sjtilney

Reaction score
Does the front differential lock when these are put into four wheel drive (part time)?