question? trail rated kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryguy5

Reaction score
Question. I have an 06 libby trail rated, comes with tow hooks and hitch. was wondering dose it have stiffer springs? rides good, want to lift thinking of the rancho, spacers up front w/ new springs and shock in back any info or input? thanks. Bryan.
0llllll0

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it does not have stiffer springs.

If you lift it, go with the OME HD springs front and rear with your choice of shocks. Ranchos are good as are OME shocks.

bryguy5

Reaction score
dose that mean new struts for front like frankenlift? cost alot of $ was lokking at the spacer lift for around 350 or so. would i be better off waiting to do the more expencive lift? i go in the hills quite a bit but dont do a whole lot of real off roading, was thinking i could get away with spacers in the front.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dose that mean new struts for front like frankenlift? cost alot of $ was lokking at the spacer lift for around 350 or so. would i be better off waiting to do the more expencive lift? i go in the hills quite a bit but dont do a whole lot of real off roading, was thinking i could get away with spacers in the front.
Spacer lifts rapidly increase OEM coil sag,and they sag fast enough as it is.

OME 927 front coils,OME 948 rear coils,Rancho 17505 front struts,Rancho 17004 rear shocks,F/R extended bumpstops,and make a drop braket for the rear brake lines(since you have a '06) and you will be good to go for around $700 or so.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Question. I have an 06 libby trail rated, comes with tow hooks and hitch. was wondering dose it have stiffer springs? rides good, want to lift thinking of the rancho, spacers up front w/ new springs and shock in back any info or input? thanks. Bryan.
0llllll0

At least yours came with hooks...mine had no hooks,skids, nothing.:mad:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it does not have stiffer springs.

If you lift it, go with the OME HD springs front and rear with your choice of shocks. Ranchos are good as are OME shocks.

Why do you say HD? I thought standard convention was Medium (or light) if you're not going to be running heavy accessories like a winch and bumper. If you are to run heavy accessories, go HD.

The ARB website seems to state that HD springs should not be used on an otherwise stock KJ.

Look at the note on the bottom.
You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of people running the HDs with no problems at all, ride is good, well a lot better than when it was stock. I lifted mine on a Friday and Saturday left for Orlando 1200 miles away, rode great! 95,000 miles later the ride is still much better then stock. Some say to use the mediums but I like the HDs and have installed several sets for others and they all like them.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of people running the HDs with no problems at all, ride is good, well a lot better than when it was stock. I lifted mine on a Friday and Saturday left for Orlando 1200 miles away, rode great! 95,000 miles later the ride is still much better then stock. Some say to use the mediums but I like the HDs and have installed several sets for others and they all like them.

Good to know. For some reason, I had thought it was a bad idea. I must be thinking of the CRD springs on a gasser, as that's asked decently often ;)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. For some reason, I had thought it was a bad idea. I must be thinking of the CRD springs on a gasser, as that's asked decently often ;)
You can run OEM CRD coils on your gas KJ,but like all OEM coils they will sag fast.OME has a higher quality control which means they last longer but there coils have gone down in quility some since they are made in China or Tiawan now(but still way better then OEM stuff).

OEM CRD front coils = 410lbs spring rate
OME 927 HD coils = 400lbs spring rate

Macgyver

Reaction score
You can run OEM CRD coils on your gas KJ,but like all OEM coils they will sag fast.OME has a higher quality control which means they last longer but there coils have gone down in quility some since they are made in China or Tiawan now(but still way better then OEM stuff).

OEM CRD front coils = 410lbs spring rate
OME 927 HD coils = 400lbs spring rate

Guys OME coils are not made in China, they are made in Australia same as always!

Quinn
All J Products

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys OME coils are not made in China, they are made in Australia same as always!

Quinn
All J Products

Everything I read says China, the company that did them for years are not doing them anymore so who is?

Macgyver

Reaction score
Everything I read says China, the company that did them for years are not doing them anymore so who is?

The same company in Australia has been making them for years. The only springs that are different is their leaf springs. Those are somewhere in Thailand or malaysia somewhere. And only their Dakar springs.