Question about Parking Brake (or E-Brake)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TinoR

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I examined the service brake and parking brake on the rear wheels last weekend to determine if I have to replace disc pads and drum shoes. After analyzing each brake type, I decided to replace both the pads and shoes in the next couple of weeks but I’m afraid to touch the shoes as there is very little room where I can use the necessary tools to remove/install the return springs. The hub is quite large in diameter limiting access to the shoes and its hardware. The service manual does not mention anything about removing the hub before attempting the work. I’ve been servicing the brakes (disc type & drum type) on my cars for the past 25 years and I have never seen limited accessibility such as this one. Maybe, this is the reason why the Liberty does not have an automatic brake shoe adjustment where adjustment is either effected by braking effort during reverse travel or effected when applying the parking brake hand lever. If it did have an automatic brake shoe adjustment assembly, the complexity of servicing the parking brake would be that much greater with the hub in the way.

Has anyone tried to replace the shoes without removing the hub?

Also, I would greatly appreciate if anyone has hints or tips on how to accomplish this job before I attempt it myself.
:eek:

flyingpuma

Reaction score
I figured out pretty quickly when I replaced my pb shoes that I wasn't going to be able to fit any tools back there, so I just used my fingers. All you are doing behind the hub is removing the springs and the adjuster, and it doesn't take too much effort to hook on the springs if you can fit your fingers in there.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's to easy to replace the PB shoes on a rear disc brake KJ,nothing special required.

Oh and the PB is self adjusting,there is no adjustment listed in the FSM.

Right from the '05 FSM.................

NOTE: The parking brake is self-adjusting, It can
not be adjusted.

There a brake lockout that some will say will adjust the parking brake but it will not,it is only used to relieve the tension on the cables when you replace them and that is all.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my ebrake all the way up today to see if i had ANY tension at all and then i gave her a push and she moved, but i heard a grinding noise in rear brakes. Is it just shiddy pads or lack of pads?