Question about hooking up a Power Inverter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vega

Reaction score
I have a 2002 jeep liberty sport, and i was curious about hooking up a power inverter. Basically id be using this on the streets to play retro video games with random passerbyers. This would power an old crt/pvm tv and a game system such as a nintendo. Does anyone have any expierience with this? What do i need? How many watts? Will my alternator be able to handle this hooked up to my car battery?

Any info you can give would be appreciated, thanks!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watts required is going to depend on what you plug into it. In this case, it would depend largely on the game system and it's power requirements, and the size of the CRT tv you're going to plug in.

I don't see why the alternator would have a hard time keeping up with whatever amount of current these devices are going to draw.

Question though, are you just going to open the swing gate and flipper glass and play video games back there with the engine running? Reason why I ask is because you'd be exposed to an awful lot of exhaust fumes.

I know that I get huge lungfuls if I unload cargo from back there while the engine is running.... I can't imagine playing even a whole level of Super Mario while breathing that in.

You may be better served with a couple deep cycle marine batteries to run this gear.

Vega

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Heres some specs, the tv ill be hooking up is a samsung gx gaming tv its a 13in crt that outputs 120v 60hz and 75 watts and any of the following systems, atari, nes, snes, sega, playstation 2. which i believe are all pretty much the same beast. Id hook the inverter up to my battery using jumper cables of sorts. I wouldnt be using the rear of the jeep rather setting up a table beside my jeep near driver/passenger door with a couple lawn chairs so wed be on sidewalk essentially. I assume id have the car running as ive never done this before this would also keep the fumes at bay and i wouldnt have people getting sick while playing. Only one tv and one system would be hooked up at a time to pull this off.

Im also trying to do this on a budget so ive been looking on craigslist for different inverters. The one ive been eyeballing seems to be the best bang for my buck 1500 to 3000 watts
COBRA Power Inverter 1500-3000 watts

COBRA Power Inverter 1500-3000 watts

This seems like it would work? Is this a cheaper option than marine batteries? Ive seen it done before just not sure how i go about doing it.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1500 to 3000 watts is equal to about 150-300 dc amps, so your alternator will not be able to take the load. I have a 800 watt inverter and the stock alternator seems to be able to handle the load.

Vega

Reaction score
So less is more in this sense? Or do you think id be better off getting a generator off craigslist?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed then with the generator you can run it anywhere. Much easier and less risky. Pulling that much juice on your kj can cause failures. Battery alternator stuff like that.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deep cycle batteries to run this equipment will certainly not be cheaper... they're about $80-$100 per battery.

In this case, I'd invest good money into a Honda generator... super quiet, reliable, good output.