Question about front axle boot replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcseforsale

Reaction score
I need to replace the outer CV boot on the driver's side of my KJ. Just wondering if replacing the boots on these is the same as most vehicles where you cut the old boot off, then whack the joint with a brass or deadblow hammer to knock off the joint.

Just wondering what to expect..

Thanks!
AJ

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
The joint is held on by some sort of c-clip on the inside... amongst all of the grease. So taking a BFH to it probably won't do the trick unless you want to replace the whole CV axle.

mcseforsale

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess that was the question. Some (like the VWs) the circlip goes into the joint, locking it from the inside...you whack the bell part of the joint to knock it apart. Apparently, these are different.

AJ

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a remaned CV axle from Napa,no mess and never seen a aftermarket DIY boot clamp ever hold for very long.Your already taking the CV axle out so no more work required,really less work required and not that much more $$$ then just a boot kit.

mcseforsale

Reaction score
yeah, well...unfortunately, in my situation, every 30 bux counts. For me, it's worth saving the 30 bux for another 1/2 hour of work.

Plus, it's like penance since I caused the 1/4" tear when I replaced my front hubs. :)

AJ

mcseforsale

Reaction score
OK...it took 3 days for the damn boot to show up and now they don't have the clamp pliers. I think I'm just gonna wait until the joint starts making noise and replace the entire axle.

I really wanted to DIY the boot, but this is they type of stuff that deflates the sails. Since the tear is so small, I figure I have a good month or more before it needs replaced. Just knowing its busted will drive me nutz, though. :(

Thanks all,
AJ

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a rip in a CV boot
Pumped some grease in with a needle
used some gray RTV on the hole
Lasted for over a year until a stick took most
of the boot off
Then got the entire shaft replaced under the 7\70 warranty

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...it took 3 days for the damn boot to show up and now they don't have the clamp pliers. I think I'm just gonna wait until the joint starts making noise and replace the entire axle.

I really wanted to DIY the boot, but this is they type of stuff that deflates the sails. Since the tear is so small, I figure I have a good month or more before it needs replaced. Just knowing its busted will drive me nutz, though. :(

Thanks all,
AJ
You will have a nice mess under there by that time,better factor in replacing the front rotors and pads then when they get soaked with CV grease.

mcseforsale

Reaction score
With the fine instruction by ptsb5a (How To: on replacing the driver's axle seal) and at the suggestion of tjkj2002 (you'll have a mess and need some new brake parts), I tackled the boot this weekend.

Since replacing my hubs last month, removing everything was fairly easy. The only hitch was that the boot kit I received didn't have the correct clamp. The large one was just a scosh too short (about 1/16 ") and I had to get another one. Trying to get the clamp working and getting another one took longer than removing/replacing the damn thing. But, that's OK...makes these projects aggravating and fun all at the same time. Plus my neighbors think I'm nuts. I've been called to change air filters and check oil several times. I swear if the car didn't have a steering wheel, they wouldn't even know what to do with it.

Next project: front tires and the 4WD sensor switch on the transfer case :D

AJ

sumpter1

Reaction score
I had some grease leaking from a cv boot and spoke with 3 mechanics that I really trust. Two of the three said don't bother fixing it, just wait for it to start making noise and replace the whole shaft (as stated above). That was over two years ago and still doing just fine.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had some grease leaking from a cv boot and spoke with 3 mechanics that I really trust. Two of the three said don't bother fixing it, just wait for it to start making noise and replace the whole shaft (as stated above). That was over two years ago and still doing just fine.

Mechanics told you to wait? :pp: Must be pretty lazy mecanics then, do they know what a mess it can make if it leaks out the grease, do they realize that dirt and grit will work in there and cause it to wear faster?
You must not of had a tear or anything and maybe just seeping some around the boot?

mcseforsale

Reaction score
When I say this thing had a tiny hole...it was pretty small. The hole itself was on the first pleat facing towards the wheel. Just on the first vertical surface from the outer clamp. You could *MAYBE* fit the head of a #1 screwdriver through the slit, so this was in no way a "tear". In fact, I actually caused it by accidentally pressing on it with the ratchet when I was removing the first E-14 bolt on the hub, so it was more of a compression wound.

So, since it was so small, it was like a friggin COTTON CANDY MACHINE in there. :freak3: The only difference was I was spinning thin gray grease. :yawn:

When the boot came off, I'd say I had lost about 1/2 of the grease. Otherwise, it was spotless in there, so I just did the boot.

Dunno about your mech letting it go like that, but I could see the grease beginning to creep towards the hub and rotor and it was already globbed onto the caliper a bit. I used about a half a roll of paper towels cleaning the crap.

AJ