Question about bolts needed for hitch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father has a 2005 kj limited. Where putting a hitch on this weekend and the bolts that's came with it are M12 x 1.75 x 40. My father went to test the bolts and he said they don't fit. Now I'm gonna take a guess and say the wholes in the frame need to be cleaned of rust but I just want to confirm if we have the right bolts or not.

Thanks

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link below is a video of a hitch installation on your '05 - the link to the video is just below the picture of the hitch. The beginning of the video deals with your issue exactly - and as Troy said above you may need to get a tap to clean out the weldnuts. And follow Troy's advice on the bolt grade too.

Hitch Installation Video - 2005 Jeep Liberty

Bob

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. My father cleaned out one the wholes in the frame but still swears the m12 bolt isn't going to fit. I have an 06kj I remember using m12 on mine.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much have to use a tap to get them cleared enough.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the hitch on with the bolts supplied. We ran a tap up the wholes and cleaned the threads. Nice to prove him wrong hehe :-D

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry for the ignorance but what's a tap??? :( Looking to get my hitch installed this weekend.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a size needed for this application? I can't seem to get a handle on the size measurements for these.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tap in that size can be very difficult to find. I was able to borrow a thread cleaning kit from my local O'reillys that had the correct sized thread in it and did the trick.

Troy, what's the problem with grade 8.8 bolts- are they not strong enough? I would think a proof load of 85,000 PSI is plenty strong to tow a 5,000 pound trailer.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tap in that size can be very difficult to find. I was able to borrow a thread cleaning kit from my local O'reillys that had the correct sized thread in it and did the trick.

Troy, what's the problem with grade 8.8 bolts- are they not strong enough? I would think a proof load of 85,000 PSI is plenty strong to tow a 5,000 pound trailer.
That very tap size came with my tap&die kit,actually a very common size in the automotive industry.

As far as the 8.8 bolts,they are equal to grade 5 bolts.Both will fail before a metric grade 10.9 or grade 8 bolt will even start to deform,stretch,or anything else that could cause failure.A 8.8 bolt in the M12 size is not all that strong and will start to stretch if torqued according to the specified torque range for those hitch bolts on a KJ(100lbs-ft),after that it's just time before they fail and they will fail if used to the max.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I never had any issues finding that size , have bought three so far over the years / different parts stores / no issues