Put in 62.796 Litres Of Gas in Last Night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JK2KJ

Reaction score
Just woundering what is the most gas you guys have ever put in your tank Last Night i put in 62.796 Litres that's 13.81512 Gallons. When I pulled into the gas station My Renegade stated it had 0 km till empty.

Update* apperently there are 2 versions of Gallons The proper conversion is 16.5889 US Gallon and thats in my 04 Renegade.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I topped 16 gallons a few times. Generally pump stops at 15 to 15.5 when I have the light on and if I drove for another 5 miles or so.
I had EVIC read 0 miles to empty a few times, it is scary :) I rely on my trip counter more than EVIC, since I rarely go over 230 miles on a single tank.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in 18.906 in this morning. Looking at my receipt right now. I was way past 0

I usually run it to the light, which is about 18 gallons.

Something I've noticed - when I hit about 40 miles left, the mileage range drops like mad on my EVIC.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for the 05+ libertys they got a 20.5 gal tank while the 2004 had 19.5 and the 2002 had 18.5...

Ive ran mine down like hyedipin and it only took 17 gallons. Ive ran it to zero a couple times and it only took 17...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I put in 18.906 in this morning. Looking at my receipt right now. I was way past 0

I usually run it to the light, which is about 18 gallons.

Something I've noticed - when I hit about 40 miles left, the mileage range drops like mad on my EVIC.

They ALL do that, and I have yet to understand exactly why.

The light is supposed to come on when there's about 2ish gallons left in the tank. But my thing is... there's NEVER actually only 2 gallons left. By my experience ESPECIALLY with my WK, it's more like 4-5!

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a fuel meter die on my old rover. I was driving with what I thought was a quarter tank, hadnt gone an unusually long time and didnt think anything of it. Turns out the guage was reading incorrectly and I was out of fuel.

I learned to never run out, I don't push it too hard anymore, specially with an inefficient vehicle, you never know when it decides to start drinking more than you intend (blarg)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running below 1/4 tank of gas often can lead to early pump failure since under 1/4 tank the pump is no longer submerged in gas which is what cools the pump motor.

Once I went until the low gas light came on(2 weeks after bought) to see how far I could go and that has been the only time ever my KJ has had less then 1/2 tank of gas in it,I normally fill up at 3/4 tank.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I partially agree with the quarter tank bit, during cold temps. But come on with filling up every quarter tank, that's stupid.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I partially agree with the quarter tank bit, during cold temps. But come on with filling up every quarter tank, that's stupid.
It's not stupid,I grew up litterly in the middle of nowhere,you always kept a full tank of gas because you never new when you could be stranded for days without seeing someone pass by,most of the area was also a no cell phone signal area also.

Now that I'm closer to civilization I still keep a full tank,heck I wash my KJ and fill the gas tank up every sunday no matter what,about a 1/4 tank is all I use for a weeks worth of driving to/from work,somewhere between 4-5 gallons per week.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's not stupid,I grew up litterly in the middle of nowhere,you always kept a full tank of gas because you never new when you could be stranded for days without seeing someone pass by,most of the area was also a no cell phone signal area also.

Now that I'm closer to civilization I still keep a full tank,heck I wash my KJ and fill the gas tank up every sunday no matter what,about a 1/4 tank is all I use for a weeks worth of driving to/from work,somewhere between 4-5 gallons per week.
That's exactly how my mom is. She rarely ever lets her tank get under 1/2 full. She too grew up in the middle of nowhere.

"I ain't got no gas!"

Me: "You have a half tank."

"Take me to the gas station!"

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Often I go on trips that use more than a half tank of gas with no gas stations... Usually I fill up with around 1/4-1/8 tank of gas left. Hardly ever get over 15 gallons in it so it still has 4.5 gallons, plenty enough for the fuel pump to remain cool.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're driving on a perfect road with no turns I could see the pump heat up but with the gas sloshing around in the tank, I don't think it'll have time to get warm....unless you're stuck in traffic I guess and going 2mph....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're driving on a perfect road with no turns I could see the pump heat up but with the gas sloshing around in the tank, I don't think it'll have time to get warm....unless you're stuck in traffic I guess and going 2mph....
It's a proven automotive fact,but by all means do what you want since that's just more money for me to replace them:D.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i usually fill it up at or around half tank and i ususually get 10 gallons outta it and that lasts me for the week

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I hardly ever go below 1/2 tank, like others grew up where the nearest gas station was 15 miles away so you made sure you always had gas, plus they all closed at 8 or 9 PM so if you had an emergency better make sure you had gas!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
Our last fill up was: 54.7 liter/14.45 U.S. Gallons or 13.03 Canadian Gallons.
That was 35 KM/21.745 Miles after the low fuel light came on.
So, I figure that there must be about 5.5 gallons left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on, and not 2 gallons like our service manual states.
I usually try and fill up at a quarter to half a tank of fuel left but this time I ran the Jeep until the low fuel light.
I find that when the tank gets really low on gas that the engine runs a little rough, almost as though the pump ***** air!
So I too believe that the pump is working harder and probable heating up.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a proven automotive fact,but by all means do what you want since that's just more money for me to replace them:D.

While I don't dispute that it's better to have it covered, I always run mine down to empty (that happens when you put 300+ miles a week on it) on various vehicles and have yet to have a fuel pump issue.

Grand Prix was going strong at 130k and I religiously ran that thing down to near nothing.

Like I said, it's probably better to keep it above 1/4, I don't think it's quite as critical as people make it out to be.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day,
I find that when the tank gets really low on gas that the engine runs a little rough, almost as though the pump ***** air!

My first car, in 1997, was a 1986 Firebird 2.8L. I was in HS and poor, and I'd run that thing down to nothing. Realistically, I'd drive it like 3 miles a day unless it was the weekend.

Anyway, I knew it was time to fill up when I took a hard right turn (all my turns in that car were hard turns :D ) and the engine would bog down and sputter.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
As to the fuel pump, it does run cooler when it is submerged in fuel as that is how it is cooled. But where this becomes a problem I think, is where you continually run it with never more than 1/4 of a tank or less of fuel in the tank. Then the pump will run hotter than it needs to... all the time ....and shorten it's life expectancy.

So if you fill your tank and run it until the fuel light comes on and then fill it again, you are running most of the time with it cooled better anyway. The pump is made of plastic I am sure. I never replaced the KJ one but I replaced several in trucks and they were plastic anyway.

That said, It is real rare that mine gets even below 1/2 tank so I don't know if my low fuel warning works. Just my habit of keeping the tank closer to full than empty I guess. That's what happens when you are in the boonies half the time.

Just my opinion.

Dave

JK2KJ

Reaction score
Good day,
Our last fill up was: 54.7 liter/14.45 U.S. Gallons or 13.03 Canadian Gallons.
That was 35 KM/21.745 Miles after the low fuel light came on.
So, I figure that there must be about 5.5 gallons left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on, and not 2 gallons like our service manual states.
I usually try and fill up at a quarter to half a tank of fuel left but this time I ran the Jeep until the low fuel light.
So I too believe that the pump is working harder and probable heating up.

I didn't know there were to different versions of gallons the conversion works out to be 16.5889 US Gallons. I had a werid feeling something was off When everyone said they put in tons more that I did cause i felt like the car was running on fumes.

Latest posts

Members online