Pulling a hood from a Pick 'N Save

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazyPear

Reaction score
Next week​I'll be pulling a hood from an 02' kj limited to replace the hood on mine due to the nasty dent and subsequent rust damage on my current hood from the PO; and was wondering what other parts y'all recommend I pull.

I plan to grab the head lights, fog lights, blinkers, tail lights, front bumper, grill cover, and some interior trim pieces Incase I need them as well. But I digress any other parts I should grab?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear wiper assembly, rear latching mechanism.
The limited might have a cargo security screen.
Evic if you're planning to add one to yours.

there might be a bottle jack versus a scissor jack.
all the coils.

clutch fan and the shroud if you dont have one already.
gas cap.
skids if you don't have them.

the leather seats.

LazyPear

Reaction score
The driver seat is in really rough condition plus I was never a big fan of the leather seats in my mom's 05' limited lol

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to discourage you, but if you even find half of all that stuff at a self-service junkyard, you're very lucky.

I've gone through probably about 15 KJ's at junkyards. Not a single one of them still had a grill cover. The few that still had front bumpers, were all in really bad shape. Same with the fog lights.

You might get very lucky of course. Just saying, don't go there with the expectation that you'll be able to easily get most of this stuff.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2.
Hard to find front parts since that's why most of them are in the yard lol.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get whatever is good that you can use. I like uss2defiant's list.

There is a junkyard near here with not even one KJ. I have checked several times out of curiosity. I wonder where they go?

Dave

LazyPear

Reaction score
As long as the hood is there and is still in good condition that's all I'm worried about lol. The jeep I'm going to pick apart is in good shape bodywise and is the same color as mine. I lucked out big time.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Pick N Save about a month ago and the Liberty's in the yard had been picked pretty clean. You should be able to find a hood just fine, but the other parts may be hard to find. I did find a front skid plate and was only charged $12!

The Chrysler section is all the way in the back on the right side if you are going to the one on 29 South. I have not been to the one in Roanoke yet.

LazyPear

Reaction score
I went to Pick N Save about a month ago and the Liberty's in the yard had been picked pretty clean. You should be able to find a hood just fine, but the other parts may be hard to find. I did find a front skid plate and was only charged $12!

The Chrysler section is all the way in the back on the right side if you are going to the one on 29 South. I have not been to the one in Roanoke yet.

Doing the Lynchburg one, since they got an 02 limited with the dark Garnet red paint like my sport has.

LazyPear

Reaction score
Is there any way to repair the damage to driver seat on the leather seats? The leather has worn in places so bad it's ripped. The passenger and bench seats are nearly perfect though based on the pictures at least.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah. Well kind of. I've gotten my driver's seat redone twice. The second time it started ripping again in a few months, I think the old guy (he had to be 90 or so) did it too tight. I don't slide across it at all, benefits of having rock rails! But you can still get the material, I have a roll of it for mine.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I ain't no Bob! LOL :D

If you were talking to me, I think $90. That's what I paid the first time and he gave me a pretty big roll of the stuff to keep. Took it back again once it tore again and now it's torn again after that but I haven't had a chance to find a new person to do it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X.X
Sorry HJ.
I thought you had mentioned you were a Bob as well.
Remember incorrectly.

Thanks. Hopefully I get mine fixed up in the future.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lol. I think I know thread you're referring to, I stole Bob's identity for a moment. It's all good!

I also got it refoamed too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.