proper tire presure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably been discussed before but....

Does anyone know what the recomended presure would be for 245/75-16 BFG's mounted on a libby??

Had my oil changed and the tires rotated today. When the mech. was finnished he wanted to make sure I had proper tire presure. So, he turned and asked me (in Korean) "how much presure?" I just kinda stared at him blankly, looked at his filling machine and realized...I had no idea. First of all, his machine wasnt set up for PSI...I think it "BARS"???

Anyway, I need to know what it is in "PSI"....I can fill them at work.

Thank, Tony

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run mine at 38 PSI. I've been happy with it.

*Edit: Oops I didnt realize your tires were bigger than mine. I still think around 40 though.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bohica-kj said:

Does anyone know what the recomended presure would be for 245/75-16 BFG's mounted on a libby??

Had my oil changed and the tires rotated today. When the mech. was finnished he wanted to make sure I had proper tire presure. So, he turned and asked me (in Korean) "how much presure?" I just kinda stared at him blankly, looked at his filling machine and realized...I had no idea. First of all, his machine wasnt set up for PSI...I think it "BARS"???

Thank, Tony
One Bar = 14.5psi. His machine may be set up for kiloPascals, so that would be 1kPa = 0.145psi. I would try around 34-38 myself; that is what I run my 235/70s at. that translates to 234 - 262 kPa or 2.3 - 2.6 Bar. On a side note, here is a great page of info on units of measurement.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
bohica-kj said:

Thank, Tony
One Bar = 14.5psi. His machine may be set up for kiloPascals, so that would be 1kPa = 0.145psi. I would try around 34-38 myself; that is what I run my 235/70s at. that translates to 234 - 262 kPa or 2.3 - 2.6 Bar. On a side note, here is a great page of info on units of measurement.

Hope this helps.

Wow, that is a huge list of units. On a conversion side note I wanted to add that I like to use google. For example just type in '40 psi to bar' and the google calculator will spit out "40 pounds per square inch = 2.75790292 bar". This is good for all kinds of conversions and calculations.

If there are any Douglas Adams fans try typing in 'the answer to life the universe and everything' and see what answer it gives you.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 37psi in them while the jeep was in the garage. After driving for 2 hours back to school, I checked them while getting gas and they were up to 40.5psi. The temp is going to drop soon so it will go down anyway. I couldnt really tell a difference in the ride or anything, mpg did seem to be alittle better. I put some valvoline gas treatment in the tank awhile back and it seems like it made the mpg drop. My evic said 18mpg on the way home and after running the tank low and putting more gas in it, it said 20 all the way back to school. That was with one downshift hitting alittle over 5krpms and many downshifts into 3rd.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a terrible week for gas mileage. I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I then realized to check my air pressure and walaa. I had 34 in the back and 35 in the front. I pumped them all up to 38 and we shall see if it helps. I do feel a difference in ride when the tires have more air in them.