profdlp's 2007 Liberty Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this one originally:

Firestick II 4 feet Tunable Tip - Black

It stuck up about a foot over the roof basket and banged all the overhead supports in the garage where I park at CSU. I ordered a 3' version for "city" driving and keep the 4' for out on the road.

The mounting bracket I got was this one:

FireStik MK-204R Adjustable SS Door Jamb Antenna Mount Mini-Kit

I removed the right taillight, inserted the bracket, then attached it with two of the screws. It's basically on the side of the Jeep with the bracket slipping between the body and the taillight itself. I also added a spring and a bayonet lock quick-disconnect.

I have been programming all weekend, which is really fun since I am not a programmer, so the picture of my antenna mount didn't get taken. Once I get those it will save me the rest of the 1,000 words I started to write to describe it all. :anitoof:

Probably don't want to put the radio in the dash if you're going to be using two different antennas. Would make it a PITA to set the SWRs each time you switch the antenna.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably don't want to put the radio in the dash if you're going to be using two different antennas. Would make it a PITA to set the SWRs each time you switch the antenna.

Should I have to do that with the "Tunable Tip" models? I figured once the adjustment was made on the antenna itself that was it. Whenever I get a chance to take the pictures I think I'll throw the 4' one on there and see if it still reads "OK". I was able to get them both down to about 1.2 when I first put them on there.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory, yes, it should be fine. I've always just used one antenna at a time or a pair, but never switched back and forth. So I'm not completely sure. If you do test that out, post the results. Now I'm curious.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My only real experience with CBs goes back to the late 1970s when "everyone" had to have one. I even sold them at the place I worked while in High School. Needless to say, my knowledge is a little rusty at this point. It would seem, though, that if the only thing changing in the equation is the stick itself and that with both of them having already been tuned, there shouldn't be any difference. The antenna doesn't "know" if it's been taken off for three minutes to go through the car wash or for three months while you deal with downtown parking garages and use the other one.

Your point is still a very good one - better to be sure rather than having to pry the whole works out of the dash every time you swap the antennas out. :)

EDIT: It's rainy and snowy. Pics (maybe) tomorrow.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Took me a few days longer than expected, but here is how I did the CB Antenna:

(Parts Listed a few posts back)

Right rear of the Jeep, taillight mount:
You must be registered for see images attach

Close up:

Same shot, different angle:

Here I have removed the antenna and you see just the spring and the lower half of the bayonet mount:

The wire slips between the rear bumper and the side of the Jeep (no drilling there) and then goes through the teensy hole I drilled. The rubber grommet was included in the Firestik wiring kit:

NOTE: There is a second hole (not shown) inside the Jeep to get through the metal inner wall. It is under the plastic interior wall of the cargo area. I had to remove the trim plate which bridges the gap between the rear bumper and the carpet in the cargo area. That part was easy, but fishing the antenna wire through the hole with the rubber grommet you saw a few pics back was a pain, as it needs a 90-degree turn and it was getting close to sundown at that point. (Hence the fancy etch work I accidentally did around the grommet hole when the drill bit slipped on me.) With a little more light I doubt it would have been nearly as much of a nuisance.

Taillight removed to show mounting. The two empty holes are there because the head of the screws kept the taillight assembly from seating fully. There is a ridge along it which I might grind down when I get a Dremel so I can replace the two screws I removed. Truthfully, the thing is in there pretty solidly with the two that remain:

Gotta get that crummy Pittsburgh sticker off the stainless steel antenna bracket. We don't much care for the Pittsburgh Steelers here in the Cleveland area. ;)

The radio itself is just wedged in there for now. If I decide on a good spot for it I might move it, but the longer I use the thing where it is the less urgent that seems. I do have an inexpensive auxiliary speaker for it which I might mount under the seat or whatever since the built-in speaker on the CB is somewhat muffled by the seat and console it is wedged in between:

Close enough to see the dirt on the side of the seat. Aren't cameras wonderful? I never noticed it before:

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Swanky .... :waytogo:

Breaker Breaker... Got a fat load and don't wanna be feedin' the bears.. we're droppin' the hammer :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There are definitely some "interesting" people on the Citizens Band. A real cross-section of humanity...

:hat: :peace: :smokin: :baby: :mario: :secret: :Sumo: :rocking: :driver: :signs16: :insane: :pshyco:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks for the pics!! Is that the 4' or 3' shown? I think that's going to be a hard decision for me.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the 3' version. The first pic is a little misleading due to the angle, but the 3' antenna is exactly even with the top of the rack. I bought a second bayonet mount when I got the 3' one, so switching between it and the 4' one takes about ten seconds, nine seconds of which is opening the rear get to get it out of the back. :icon_lol:

I probably should have mentioned that once you get the antenna wire inside the Jeep at the rear cargo area, getting it to the front seat is a piece of cake. All it takes is to push the wire under the trim at the bottom with your bare hands, then solder the connector once you get it there.

ADDED: By the way, the price for just the antenna is about $16-$20. If I had it to do all over again knowing what I know now, I would have bought a 3' and the 5' versions. The 3' is great for city driving because you can go anywhere the height of the roof rack allows. I'd put the big one on there for out on the open road.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
profdlp - how long has yours been installed. Is it pretty recent?

I only ask because I have the same set up, but I have the bracket mounted near the rear swing gate. I keep having problems with it loosening over time. I'm curious to see if you've had problems with yours.

Also, I might be a little concerned about snagging something with it off road.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It has been on there for about a month. When I popped the taillight out a few days ago to take the pics it was still in there pretty snug. I had some doubts about it over time, but using a T-15 to remove the two taillight mounting screws makes it easy to check. (Whether I remember to do that is another story.)

As for the offroad snagging, it doesn't stick out past the fender flare so there is some protection there, though tree branches and bushes might not care about either. I'm hoping the spring will save me from all but a direct hit on the bracket itself, though if I hit something big that close I probably would be looking at Bondo and paint anyway even if the bracket wasn't there. No matter what, I can't wait to take it somewhere and find out. :D

How often do you use your swing gate? Is it possible that the opening/shutting gives it a little extra vibration which might be causing it to come loose?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
How often do you use your swing gate? Is it possible that the opening/shutting gives it a little extra vibration which might be causing it to come loose?

Pretty often, but there's no contact between the gate and the bracket, so it doesn't really get touched. I was guessing maybe the wind has something to do with it. :shrug: The antenna is off and stored in the garage right now. I've been watching for other methods. I like how you've got yours, that's why I was questioning the longevity.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
An advantage I can see of the swing gate area is that you could easily check it. If you keep a screwdriver in the back it would be a simple matter of cranking it back down as necessary. On the other hand, being under the taillight should prevent the screws from backing themselves out too far, though if I see the gap between the body and taillight growing I'll know for sure that it's time for a tighten-down.

As for longevity, I guess only time will tell.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An advantage I can see of the swing gate area is that you could easily check it. If you keep a screwdriver in the back it would be a simple matter of cranking it back down as necessary. On the other hand, being under the taillight should prevent the screws from backing themselves out too far, though if I see the gap between the body and taillight growing I'll know for sure that it's time for a tighten-down.

As for longevity, I guess only time will tell.

Ya I was thinking some blue threadlock (the non-permanent) or some sort of thin lock washer. Heck maybe it doesn't even need that much. Just a close eye like you said.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to throw some threadlock on there myself, just to be safe. I probably will grind the back of the taillight down a tad to get the other two screws back in there as well. :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I have the same set up, but I have the bracket mounted near the rear swing gate. I keep having problems with it loosening over time...
Had to run out to the Jeep between classes this afternoon and had a thought. (Could use a few more "thoughts" in class, too.)

Does your setup include the spring? I got curious and wiggled the bracket a little (it's still snug), but got to thinking that the spring probably reduces a lot of the vibration from wind on the antenna itself before it actually gets to the mounting bracket. I put it on there to help mitigate catastrophic failure due to snagging, etc, but now think that it might be helping the screws out as well.

I got the heavy-duty version of the spring, but think that may have been overkill. On the other hand, if I recall correctly, the one I bought was about $8 and the light-duty version was only a few dollars less.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Had to run out to the Jeep between classes this afternoon and had a thought. (Could use a few more "thoughts" in class, too.)

Does your setup include the spring? I got curious and wiggled the bracket a little (it's still snug), but got to thinking that the spring probably reduces a lot of the vibration from wind on the antenna itself before it actually gets to the mounting bracket. I put it on there to help mitigate catastrophic failure due to snagging, etc, but now think that it might be helping the screws out as well.

I got the heavy-duty version of the spring, but think that may have been overkill. On the other hand, if I recall correctly, the one I bought was about $8 and the light-duty version was only a few dollars less.

:happy175: ... you use your brain like I do ... :insane:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to ask you. How is the reception with the 3'? Any idea on the range? I know its mounted low so that will cut it but I don't expect more than 2-3 miles max.

Latest posts

Members online