profdlp's 2007 Liberty Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...ideally I would look for a set of 4, with 2 spot and flood...
Would these be a good 60-Degree complement for the 30-Degree ones you linked to?

MicTuning 2 × 27W 60 Degree Flood Light LED

Wiring and switch(es) I can handle, though I'm a little hazy on what type of relay I would need and how it would be used. And how would you recommend I mount all four lights if I had a pair of each? Spots as the inside pair and wide-angle on the outside?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would these be a good 60-Degree complement for the 30-Degree ones you linked to?

MicTuning 2 × 27W 60 Degree Flood Light LED

Wiring and switch(es) I can handle, though I'm a little hazy on what type of relay I would need and how it would be used. And how would you recommend I mount all four lights if I had a pair of each? Spots as the inside pair and wide-angle on the outside?

Yupp, those do have a higher lumen output and are a flood beam, but only have one review.

For my wiring I have relays being powered off the "remote" wire that comes out of the aftermarket stereo to the amp. I figured this way they are only on when the stereo is on, and I can easily remove it with any issues down the road or tapping into any ignition wires like some do.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
For the price, even if they aren't that great it wouldn't be a big risk. Now, buying one of those $400 LED light bar sets and not liking it... :uhoh2:

I might get a pair of the ones you listed and a pair of the others so I'd have everything covered, near and far. Then maybe I'll drive out in the woods somewhere and scare the crap out of the racoons. :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
A question for bmrrwolfe, who will know what I mean. ;)

I was leaving WG tonight and was wondering if the lights we talked about in the last few posts would present a problem in clearing their claustrophobic overhead. Right now it looks like I have about 8" clearance at the lowest places in WG. 4" lights and their brackets would make me a little nervous pulling through there. I don't want to buy the suckers and scrape them off on the ceiling.

I know your Jeep fits - any advice? :)

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A question for bmrrwolfe, who will know what I mean. ;)

I was leaving WG tonight and was wondering if the lights we talked about in the last few posts would present a problem in clearing their claustrophobic overhead. Right now it looks like I have about 8" clearance at the lowest places in WG. 4" lights and their brackets would make me a little nervous pulling through there. I don't want to buy the suckers and scrape them off on the ceiling.

I know your Jeep fits - any advice? :)

I have 6" lights, but have them mounted low, and I think my crossbars sit a little lower on mine as well, but I think you'll be fine, now if you lift it and throw 32s on it, then you might need to start worrying!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
At the very lowest spot in WG, which I refer to as "the dungeon", the overhead clearance is 6'6". Last Tuesday I found out that my Jeep is 6'7"...

:pokeowned:

(For you viewers playing along at home, the rest of the garage is 7'0".)

Fortunately, I was backing in very slowly and just nudged the rack. If I ever get around to writing my review I'm going to be able to make a strong argument that the Black Widow is a robust piece of gear. The basket part had one little nick the size of a fingernail. It bent the ever-lovin' dog squeeze out of two of the clamping brackets, though. I spent what was supposed to be my gym time banging them back into shape with a tire iron and clamping the works back to the rails.

(Note to self: Don't park in the dungeon again.)

At any rate, there was no permanent damage, but I'm thinking the lights might have to wait a couple months until I'm out of there for good. Of course, it might not be any better if the place where I (hopefully) start working after graduation has a "dungeon" of its own.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As high as you have the rack already, mount any lights that you think you need up there down low next to the roof line. Don't mount them like so many that they hit the traffic lights. My light mounts are 1/4 inch off the roof, keeps them nice and low. With over 4 inches of lift/32s etc I can still get into a 7 foot door .
Personally I'm removing my roof lights more than likely since I never use them unless I'm down on the farm at night "checking wildlife" to make sure they're ok.

Was also reading that you don't want to lift since you like the ride. We have to take you on a ride in a lifted one then you'll see what you're missing but not lifting it. :roflsquared:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the lights will be mounted on the lower ring of the rack, with the intention of not having them any higher than the top of the rack than necessary. Like you, they would probably be for farm visits. Might need to drive past Adena and wake up the folks. :D

...Was also reading that you don't want to lift since you like the ride. We have to take you on a ride in a lifted one then you'll see what you're missing but not lifting it. :roflsquared:
That's for right now, but only because the Jeep and I are still on our honeymoon. Don't be surprised if I take you up on the offer of a ride, at which point we might well be talking parts, etc. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also floods or fog lights on the roof do nothing really, they get lost before they do any good . Floods are good for back up lights but nothing forward.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the rationale behind the mix in lights on the roof is that you're covered in all situations. Two long-throw lights for distance, two work lights for something like illuminating a campsite while you set up your tent in the dark because you got lost and arrived late.

(Don't ask me how I know about that last part...)
:signs75:

Either way, I'm going to keep them low on the rack. I keep meaning to post a write-up on my roof rack installation with a couple more pictures. (School is killing me, which is the reason so many of my posts are at 3am.) The one earlier in this thread gives the appearance that it is really high off the roof, but that had a lot to do with the angle at which I snapped the picture. In actuality, it is fairly snug to the side rails, mainly due to the flat crossbars.

Good thing, too, or the dungeon would have claimed another victim last week. :rofl:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So wiring them up on two switches then? Be the best way, I have mine that way even though they are both spots, two outside are aimed to run the ditches on either side of the road and on one switch, two centers straight out and on the other .

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, separate switches for flexibility. I like having plenty of options and not being in an either/or situation.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Over a month and I haven't updated anything. My last Final Exam is less than five weeks away, though. :favorites37:

I did order a CB radio and got that installed. Maybe tomorrow I can grab a picture or two. The antenna is mounted at the right rear taillight and I am happy with it. I bought the smallest CB I could find ( Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB with ANL, RF Gain, PA, and Weather Scan ) and have it wedged between the front passengers seat and the center console. It's not bad, but I'm thinking I could do better. One option I've considered is to mount it in the door pocket on the drivers side, which would get it out of the way but would also make it impossible to read the display while driving. Anywhere else and it would be just a $40 knee-scraper.

I don't think I mentioned it here, but about a month ago I had the following done:

Radiator flush & fill, including the reserve reservoir
Oil and Filter changed
Both axles had the fluid changed
New air filter (old one was fine, but I was on a roll)

I'm really looking forward to getting some offroad lights on the roof rack. I might not get to use them for a while, but I think they would definitely add to the look I'm going for. I'm also considering adding a 4" or maybe even 6" diameter section of PVC with cleanout caps (screw on/off) to stash a few fishing poles in. It would run along side the roof rack on one side, so about 4' long or thereabouts. Might be good for tent poles, too.

The only thing I'm missing right now is the time to do it all and the time to take it out somewhere and actually enjoy it. It's good to have something to look forward to, though. :)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over a month and I haven't updated anything. My last Final Exam is less than five weeks away, though. :favorites37:

I did order a CB radio and got that installed. Maybe tomorrow I can grab a picture or two. The antenna is mounted at the right rear taillight and I am happy with it. I bought the smallest CB I could find ( Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB with ANL, RF Gain, PA, and Weather Scan ) and have it wedged between the front passengers seat and the center console.

I like that CB - very compact but has all the features.

What antenna did you get? I'm debating on getting a handheld vs fullsize CB - most of the issue being space and mounting the antenna.

The KJ is getting there - let's get out and run your Jeep!!

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I got this one originally:

Firestick II 4 feet Tunable Tip - Black

It stuck up about a foot over the roof basket and banged all the overhead supports in the garage where I park at CSU. I ordered a 3' version for "city" driving and keep the 4' for out on the road.

The mounting bracket I got was this one:

FireStik MK-204R Adjustable SS Door Jamb Antenna Mount Mini-Kit

I removed the right taillight, inserted the bracket, then attached it with two of the screws. It's basically on the side of the Jeep with the bracket slipping between the body and the taillight itself. I also added a spring and a bayonet lock quick-disconnect.

I have been programming all weekend, which is really fun since I am not a programmer, so the picture of my antenna mount didn't get taken. Once I get those it will save me the rest of the 1,000 words I started to write to describe it all. :anitoof:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that CB - very compact but has all the features.

What antenna did you get? I'm debating on getting a handheld vs fullsize CB - most of the issue being space and mounting the antenna.

The KJ is getting there - let's get out and run your Jeep!!

Bob

I may be stealing your setup ideas... radio and all. It's exactly what I want. Pics please of how you installed the bracket and ran the wire!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Pics please of how you installed the bracket and ran the wire!

Will do. The link to the bracket/wiring item I posted shows what you get. The only hard part was getting the wire through a hole I had to drill for it. I kept it as small as possible which meant for some creative angling with my fish tape. You do have to solder the connector to the other end. The advantage of all this is that you end up with one little hole about as big around as a pencil where the wire passes through the side. Since the wire fills it entirely a teeny bit of caulk seals it perfectly. The hole is also behind the taillight, so if you took the whole works out you would never know it was ever there.

I put a reminder on my calendar to grab some pictures. (That's the only way I get anything done these days...) :help:

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you like it, Leeann? I came this close to getting that one, then decided that I would try and fit the one I ended up getting in there somewhere. I had the idea of either doing the Double-DIN fakeout and mounting it right under an aftermarket Single-DIN stereo or even fitting it into the pocket under the A/C controls. If there is one drawback to the one I got it's that its largest dimension is its depth; the height and width are teensy.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like it. With a real external antenna, the range is quite good. As a handheld, it's not awful. I like that it gets awfully small as the one with the external power and antenna.

Comes with three bottoms: regular battery, the external power/antenna and a rechargeable battery base.