Problems????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I started my jeep to go to school. At first i backed up and it seemed as if the tires were spinning but the jeep was just jerking along. When i got to school and went to back up into my spot, The RPMS will fly up but the car will not move in reverse at all. I'm thinking trans problems but does anyone have any idea at all on what it could be?

Samsolo49

Reaction score
This morning I started my jeep to go to school. At first i backed up and it seemed as if the tires were spinning but the jeep was just jerking along. When i got to school and went to back up into my spot, The RPMS will fly up but the car will not move in reverse at all. I'm thinking trans problems but does anyone have any idea at all on what it could be?
I would say your transmission is done, you typically lose reverse first. You should be able to pick one up with around 100,000 miles pretty cheap as long as it's not a crd, less of them out there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea check your fluid with it running on flat ground at tenp in neutral. If its really low might not be building enough pressure in there. If thats not the case and you’d rather try cheap first before swapping ******’s drop the trans pan and check that all the filters are properly installed and condition of old fluid.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What year? 45RFE check in N, 42RLE check in Park, go by the manual and not the dipstick.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it taken in and Im looking at 300 for parts and like 400 for labor, than i need calipers, ball joints, front drive shaft, new windshield, a new idler pulley, new head gasket, New speakers...... Jeeps just getting old.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently the size engine I have in my jeep which is the 3.7 has clutches for reverse. I ended up frying both clutches. He does not know how it happened though stating that all fluids were good.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not unheard of. When my TC clutch went, the reverse clutch wasn't far behind according to the CVIs.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeeps been having a lot of problems lately, idler pulley, front driveshaft, speakers going out, blown head gasket.... It just goes on and on

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How did the head gasket get blown?

Speakers and front driveshaft are easy fixes. I've done the front driveshaft once and the speakers more times than I can count. Idler pulley/belt tensioner are normal maintenance. Even the one on my '15 Cherokee failed at 20,000 miles.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry was not the head gasket its a valve cover. My fault. But ive been running out of oil really fast and its smells like something is burning. I was told the oil was pooling up onto my engine and dripping into my exhaust

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I've done the...speakers more times than I can count...
Any common thread to the problems? Mine have not worked right since I upgraded the whole works three years ago. It's not the speakers at this point, so it's either the wires of the head unit.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Any common thread to the problems? Mine have not worked right since I upgraded the whole works three years ago. It's not the speakers at this point, so it's either the wires of the head unit.

Mine kept cracking and blowing. Have the OEM Infinity speakers. I used to have resilicone them every few months, finally bought a second pair so I could just have a rotation.:happy175:

Oddly since I've gotten the new HU the sound quality is better and I'm not going through speakers anymore. I still have an intermittent issue where the driver's channel won't kick in unless I turn the volume up and back down. Works if I fiddle with the wiring in the door jamb boot.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I still have an intermittent issue where the driver's channel won't kick in unless I turn the volume up and back down...
That's what mine are doing, with two separate sets of speakers. I have been agonizing over whether to roll the dice on a new head unit or try re-wiring everything first. One is a lot of money and the other is a lot of work...

To the Thread Starter - sorry for the threadjack, buddy! :sorry: threadjacked.gif

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up putting in 2 12 inch subs into mine and the person that did mine wired them into my door speakers because they did not have the wires for the amp..... It blew my left back speaker and my right will pop a lot at higher sound levels.