Problem with rubbing/new Cragars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having some serious rubbing issues with my new Cragar rims. Just got them installed a few days ago and it hasnt stopped raining sinse (waitng for the rain to stop to get pics).
Here's the problem, I had 245/75-16 BFG AT's on my stock steel rims (16x7...not sure of BS). So I bought Cragars 16x7 with 4'' BS. Now, they rub really bad on the back portion of the front wheel well when I'm turning sharp a slow speeds (like in a parking lot). I wish I had a picture of the place they rub but I'll try to explain....there is a wedge of plastic that shoots out twards the tire at the lower aft section of the front wheel wells. Why are they there???? thats what I'm rubbing on!!! I'm fully capable of cutting them off and repairing the hole with some sheet plastic or fiberglass. But, that's a little evasive.
Anyone have any other ways that I could solve this rubbing problem??
Its incredibly embarrassing... especially when the tires are wet, It a really loud squeal, sounds like I'm running over a dog!!!

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I have the same size tires and wheels as you. The pictures kind of show you what I trimmed out. The thing on the back of the wheel well can be bent over, but you have to cut the plastic off first.

Bennett

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks bennett.. great pics!!

I'm pretty sure I'm not rubbing on the front of the w/w just the back. But, it's probably a good idea to trim the front too. You dont have any problem with water/snow/mud getting into that hole and shorting out the LWR fog light connection? I'v got 8000k HID's in there, not sure i'll trim that yet.

So, in the rear of the w/w, the plastic molding is cut away and there is metal structure underneath?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
bohica-kj said:
thanks bennett.. great pics!!

I'm pretty sure I'm not rubbing on the front of the w/w just the back. But, it's probably a good idea to trim the front too. You dont have any problem with water/snow/mud getting into that hole and shorting out the LWR fog light connection? I'v got 8000k HID's in there, not sure i'll trim that yet.

So, in the rear of the w/w, the plastic molding is cut away and there is metal structure underneath?

No problem with snow/rain getting in there. So far so good. I think it helps that the tire doesn't naturally throw a lot stuff in there just based on the tire rotation.

You can just cut the plastic molding away then simply take a hammer and pound the pinch weld inwards. Then you should be ok.

Bennett

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3:00 pm Saturday afternoon........and still raining!!! #-o

It's Monsoon season in Korea and it's been raining sinse last monday...sux!!! Plus the temp. is a soupy 85 deg. with tropical humidity.
Perfect Jeepn' weather!!! I love muddn'. But, with my tires rubbing, i think I'll stay home.

white04kj

Reaction score
Don't forget to spray something to cover the bare steel that's bound to result from pounding the pinchweld down. Spraypaint works fine. If you want to fix the front of the fenderwell, lots of people have had good luck using a heat gun to soften the plastic, then push it out of the way.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finnally had a nice Saturday in Korea!!! Good chance to work on the KJ...

The plastic wheel well was super easy to cut, used a "box cutter" style knife with a new blade and it cut like butter. Had to put the 10LB sledge to work on the pinch weld but she folded right over nicely.
Thanks for a the addvice on how to do this job correctly!! \:D/ Really made all the diferance in the world. This is why I love this site so much!!!

First sunny day in allmost two weeks.........photo opp!!!

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

covered the hole with some flat black poly. spray paint

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Love these new rims!!!

IMG_0009.JPG

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look B-E-A-UTIFUL!! I am ready to get some of those on my KJ. Also, have you tested the trimming to see if you still here any squealing with wet tires? Or are you now officially clear from the front wheel well and pinch weld areas?

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the front isnt rubbing. But if it is, I'll more than likely use a die grinder and just sand the plastic down to were it stops, rather than cutting it out like the rear.

Other than that. I'm real happy with it. I can get into a tight parking spot now without poeple looking around trying to figure out what the heck that noise is \:D/

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
bohica-kj said:
Nice porfile pic Bennett.... =D>

I'm wondering.....which would keep you busier, Her \:D/ or your KJ \:D/

Yea know, thats a good question.... hmmm thats tough question... Well depends I guess.