Problem with 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi buddies,

happy new year!

Just began new year with some problems. I have an automatic 2007 KJ.

I tried to put it in partial and full time,and I feel that front differential does not engage.. It began engaging after several minutes of riding.I also tried to put reverse and it worked only one time,I mean I achieved to engage the full time by shifting to Reverse (it happened only in one case) .
Well, to explain better ....engage means that the wheel get blocked as it was in partial mode or 4lo. Furthermore, the motor works as it was forced and there is vibration front front differential

The same problem I have when I want to shift back to 2wd.... I have to ride more than 15 minutes, shift to reverse, ride, turn left and right with care and suddenly it works perfectly.

My tires are 255/70/16, I had to replace the rear left tire with the spare one whose measurement is 245/70/16. Is it possible that this affect to differential?

regards,
Lewis

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi buddies,

happy new year!

Just began new year with some problems. I have an automatic 2007 KJ.

I tried to put it in partial and full time,and I feel that front differential does not engage.. It began engaging after several minutes of riding.I also tried to put reverse and it worked only one time,I mean I achieved to engage the full time by shifting to Reverse (it happened only in one case) .
Well, to explain better ....engage means that the wheel get blocked as it was in partial mode or 4lo. Furthermore, the motor works as it was forced and there is vibration front front differential

The same problem I have when I want to shift back to 2wd.... I have to ride more than 15 minutes, shift to reverse, ride, turn left and right with care and suddenly it works perfectly.

My tires are 255/70/16, I had to replace the rear left tire with the spare one whose measurement is 245/70/16. Is it possible that this affect to differential?

regards,
Lewis

what transfer case do you have?
And yes a smaller tire can cause issues

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why your having issues with the select trac t-case shifting.All 4 tires must be the same size and aired up the same and within 3/32"-4/32" of each other for that t-case to shift properly.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you determining that the 4x4 is not engaging?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious.. I have the opposite problem where my Selec-Trac doesn't disengage when I go back to 2wd right away.

I often find it works best if I shift to neutral, let off the gas, move to my desired range/gear, and then put it back in drive and blip the throttle to apply torque.

But others are also correct in that the one smaller tire may be causing some concerns for you. But I'd think that the front diff would engage no matter what, you'd just get some wheel chatter or driveline binding going on.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That tire is probably the issue.
JasonJ, I have a similar issue sometimes, it helps if you lubricate the shifting rod underneath. I still usually put in N still to shift it to be safe

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious.. I have the opposite problem where my Selec-Trac doesn't disengage when I go back to 2wd right away.

I often find it works best if I shift to neutral, let off the gas, move to my desired range/gear, and then put it back in drive and blip the throttle to apply torque.

But others are also correct in that the one smaller tire may be causing some concerns for you. But I'd think that the front diff would engage no matter what, you'd just get some wheel chatter or driveline binding going on.

Mine is more prone to not disengaging and usually hangs up in part time. A simple blip on the throttle helps. I try to use the full time at least once a week now (TwoBobsKJ recommended this a while back). I have a couple of tires with slow leaks and that just makes things 10x worse.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why your having issues with the select trac t-case shifting.All 4 tires must be the same size and aired up the same and within 3/32"-4/32" of each other for that t-case to shift properly.

Thanks buddy! I'll get an used spare tire to equal the rest. Now in new years holidays most of the times the tire shops are closed over here (Venezuela)

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you determining that the 4x4 is not engaging?

It being in Full Time, I am unable to turn the wheel completely to left or right. I keeps as in partial time. When I try to disengage from Full Time, the wheels keeps with same conditions....
I achieved to engage only one time by shifting to reverse while in Full Time.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I ended up to put a tire with same dimensions that the rest. The 4x4 issue was solved finally.
Thanks everybody!

Fango925

Reaction score
Mine does this too, I've found it weirdly doesn't disengage until I let off the throttle. Just a quick on-off of the throttle tends to solve it