Powertrax No Slip spider gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody use this or have heard anything about it. The only thing I've heard is its a easy install at home and won't make the noise of a lock right. I was looking for something I could afford but at the same time has to be dependable.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody use this or have heard anything about it. The only thing I've heard is its a easy install at home and won't make the noise of a lock right. I was looking for something I could afford but at the same time has to be dependable.
It still will bang and pop,all lunchbox lockers do.A better choice is the Detroit Locker,a full carrier replacement which is far stronger and only about $150 more,sure professional install is needed but that should not be more then $200-$300,and you'll be much happier with the Detroit.The Detroit TrueTrac is also a very choice,sure it's a LSD but far better then the powertrax.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it will bang and pop but not very often. USually at low speeds in parking lots and such is when mine would BANG.

The street manners are not the best in the world and it can actually be harder to drive in the rain. It will leave 100% of the engine torque to one wheel when its unlocked which makes for some scary times when youre trying to pull out.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still will bang and pop,all lunchbox lockers do.A better choice is the Detroit Locker,a full carrier replacement which is far stronger and only about $150 more,sure professional install is needed but that should not be more then $200-$300,and you'll be much happier with the Detroit.The Detroit TrueTrac is also a very choice,sure it's a LSD but far better then the powertrax.

That is what I have been thinking of for my usage since I am not hard-core or a rock crawler. DL in the back and DTT front......or a DTT front and rear. I am open now so essentially I have 2 drive wheels when in 4x4. RR and LF. So I guess 4x4 can be a mis-nomer of sorts.

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I have been thinking of for my usage since I am not hard-core or a rock crawler. DL in the back and DTT front......or a DTT front and rear. I am open now so essentially I have 2 drive wheels when in 4x4. RR and LF. So I guess 4x4 can be a mis-nomer of sorts.

Dave

Until you get your locker, brake feathering can work wonders. We just had one of the biggest snows in decades up here in Puget Sound. I don't have a locker yet. My mom's on a super-steep driveway which is paved, but when it gets icy and snowy, can be very difficult. Got up most of the way in 4lo, but got hung up at the very crest of the driveway where it gets a teeny bit steeper. Wheels spinning like crazy. Started two-footing gas and brake and the wheels dug in and popped right over the top. Almost felt like someone was towing me. That's how big a difference it was.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until you get your locker, brake feathering can work wonders. We just had one of the biggest snows in decades up here in Puget Sound. I don't have a locker yet. My mom's on a super-steep driveway which is paved, but when it gets icy and snowy, can be very difficult. Got up most of the way in 4lo, but got hung up at the very crest of the driveway where it gets a teeny bit steeper. Wheels spinning like crazy. Started two-footing gas and brake and the wheels dug in and popped right over the top. Almost felt like someone was towing me. That's how big a difference it was.

I am really impressed with the snow manners of the Liberty. When I went on the Snow Run up to the Wynoochee Dam some of the guys in YJ's and TJ's were all over the road until they locked the lockers. I was still in 2WD. :D

Oh and jnaut, I just saw this.
Here comes the snow again.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have posted this same story several times but I do not mind doing it
I had 2 power trax break on back to back trail rides and both trails were
rated <3 on a 1-5 scale
the result is ONLY power to the driver wheel and 0% to the passenger wheel
no lie worse than an open diff
when they worked on road they SUCKED
I got the place I bought them from to give me credit and sell me a Detroit Locker ,$150 more +$250 install
best thing I ever did
I almost never use the ARB up front and now that it has been in for a while I dont even notice it is there
and 100X better road manners

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
aussie locker..

www.offroadlockers.com

$320 shipped and i love every second of driving my KJ with it

2006KJ.....Thanks for the link. For some reason I didn't think they made a locker for the KJ. How easy of an install was it and how are the road manners?

Dave

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006KJ.....Thanks for the link. For some reason I didn't think they made a locker for the KJ. How easy of an install was it and how are the road manners?

Dave

they just came out with one for the KJ a few months ago after years of R&D. install was very easy.. if you have basic mechanical skills you can do it yourself no problem. road manners are how you would expect them with both rear wheels locked. it took a little getting used to but after a week you wont know how you lived without it. dont know how it would be with an auto but with my stick sometimes i just take my time during shifts around sharp corners at slow speeds to avoid chirping/hopping (unlocks when no power to the rear end) in rain/snow/ice traction is increased 100 percent. going from open to locker is like 2wd to 4wd.. then when you actually put it in 4wd it's like from 4wd to unstoppable :)

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'm trying to save money but there's so much to get. I'm probably getting my skids first then worry about the diff.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are getting wise,always get armor first before lockers,even a lift.Don't forget about the front and rear recovery points even before the skids.

those are wise words for an offroading stand point.. however if you want better on slick road/snow traction i'd suggest a locker in the rear even with a stock jeep. however if you do plan on offroading follow TJKJ's advice for sure!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really impressed with the snow manners of the Liberty. When I went on the Snow Run up to the Wynoochee Dam some of the guys in YJ's and TJ's were all over the road until they locked the lockers. I was still in 2WD. :D

Midnight.......yea, the KJ is good in snow/ice even with open diff's. I have not had any problems even on ice covered hills when everyone elce was sliding all around. But if you're in snow you should always be in 4h.........unless of course you were just fooling around in 2wd.... haha:D

Dave

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I have been thinking of for my usage since I am not hard-core or a rock crawler. DL in the back and DTT front......or a DTT front and rear.

Dave, due your signature, I think you have a Select-Trac... I think I rode a post from Troy, saying that you can't put a DL o DTT in front b/c you eventually lose the Full-Time option... or at least you lose it as you know it...

It was something like you'll end having a locked front and rear axle, but a open central diff... kinda weird...

I also remember a post saying that the only option for a KJ with Select-Trac is ARB in the front...

Cheers :)

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya AlexKJ is right if you have the select-trac you cant use a DTT in the front, which you ONLY can use a DTT or ARB, its the rear that you actually have some options but if I had to do it again I would defintily go with a DL you can barely tell its even there

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave, due your signature, I think you have a Select-Trac... I think I rode a post from Troy, saying that you can't put a DL o DTT in front b/c you eventually lose the Full-Time option... or at least you lose it as you know it...

It was something like you'll end having a locked front and rear axle, but a open central diff... kinda weird...

I also remember a post saying that the only option for a KJ with Select-Trac is ARB in the front...

Cheers :)

Alex.....ok, I didn't think of that. (yea, I do have the selec-trac) so what you are saying is that when it is in full-time the open diff in the TC offsets the DTT in front diff?? So then, the DTT in the front will only really work in part-time.....(same as command-trac) .......Is this right??? I am thinking about it ......hmmmmmmmm........ so I would be better off to leave the front alone (open) and then just put a Detroit Locker in the rear maybe.......Now I am thinking again.......haha

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex.....ok, I didn't think of that. (yea, I do have the selec-trac) so what you are saying is that when it is in full-time the open diff in the TC offsets the DTT in front diff?? So then, the DTT in the front will only really work in part-time.....(same as command-trac) .......Is this right??? I am thinking about it ......hmmmmmmmm........ so I would be better off to leave the front alone (open) and then just put a Detroit Locker in the rear maybe.......Now I am thinking again.......haha

Dave
Having a DTT in the front when in fulltime 4wd on dry surfaces will cause binding.You can install the DTT with the select trac but it will render the fulltime option on dry/wet pavement useless and non useable.