power window issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
this has probly been discussed already-

I was rolling up my windows after pulling into work and parking, and when the rear passenger window reached the top, the instant it hit the top, it SNAPPED and it now grinds whenever the motor is activated.. I can now pull the window up and down with my hands SHOCKED.gif

I was looking at AAP and they have window regulator tape and window regulator gears.. reckon I should replace both of those and it'll be in good shape? do these gears and tape apply to all 4 windows (same size?) If so, I'm gonna buy some spares.

gears are 9 bucks, tape is 13.

edit: I don't know what snapped yet.. It happened about 30 minutes ago and I had to come into work, couldnt check it out.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is yours? Probably a rear window regulator failure. From what I have seen, and I have replaced literally hundreds of window regulators on KJs, is that there is a plastic flex cable, and inside the cable is a coiled piece of metal. It looks sort of like a spring. I know, a sh**** description, but it's the best I can do.:D
Anyways, when the window motor runs, this coiled piece spins and moves up or down, depending on the direction the motor is running.
What happens is this coiled piece comes out of the plastic flex tube and gets crammed up in the rear door latch area. This is the most common failure I have seen on rear window regulators.
Unfortunately, if you get a replacement regulator, it is the same exact design. I have not, however, ever had a KJ come back with the same regulator failed if it had been replaced, so it may be a better built unit.
If you can, take the right rear door panel off and look at the latch inside the door. See if you can see the coiled linkage all wadded up in there.

If your KJ is the old style, it has the traditional cable system, with the motor, a cable, and pulleys. Usually the retainer that holds the window up fails, or the cable itself fails. This was also very common.

Pull the right rear door panel and take a look. It takes about 5 minutes to remove.

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had many of these fail on me since 07 when I bought the car. Idaho08KK is correct in his decription. That excatly what the dealer tells me every time I took it in. In fact it got to a point where I would show up they would grab the keys and say another window failure?!?!?!? LOL it was funny. :p

One final note.. The last time I had mine replaced the dealer says the glass has to be replaced as well.. Chrysler re did the part and in the process changed how the window glass mounts to the motor. I have comfirmed this with 2 dealers as well as Chrysler and 3 customer service supervisors. My extended warranty company wouldnt pay for the glass just the motor. :mad:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the aftermarket repair kit, repair the regulator, and NEVER have to fix it again!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an after market repair. Super easy to replace, great directions come with the parts, and then you never have to deal with this damn issue again!

http://www.steigerperformance.com/

X2...

Good reviews on here and other forums. The only way to fix it otherwise is new glass and newer style regulator, but no guarantees that a flaw won't show up with the newer design down the road either.

Better off replacing the problematic part with their kit and then it will last and last and last.. Not to mention its cheaper in the long run. You have to pull out the current regulator to repair or replace it, so real difference in labor either. Follow their instructions and you can do it yourself, therefore saving money on labor. Its just a win-win.

Midgear

Reaction score
well I popped the door panel off and yes.. the coil spring thingy was all wadded up in the top rear of the door.. does it somehow just slide back into the motor and then catch and continue operating as normal?

then just replace the clip that slides up and down the rail and call it good?