Power Steering Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that my power steering isn't working as well as it should. Does anybody have any tips of how to begin troubleshooting?

Over the years I've driven many different vehicles, most with power assisted steering. While it's not as difficult as standard steering it the response of my efforts to turn my steering wheel seems stiff. I suspect that if there is a fault that it has grown gradually and not suddenly which makes it difficult to notice.

My Libby is an 04 and the tires are LT245/75R16 AT's. And no there are no noises from the the power steering pump, no leaks.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines pretty hard to turn but its always been like that. The wider tires dont help either. I cant stand a limp steering wheel with no feel to it. Ive driven a 2006 kj and it feels like that, idk what they changed but I like my 04 so much better. Never thought of it as being a problem.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it matters on caster angle too. I notice that when I lift the front without doing anything else it is easier to steer. Seems if you have more rake the harder it seems. I also changed out about a quart of fluid this summer and that really helped.