Power Steering PITA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bleh....just finished crawling around under the KJ on the cold, slushy, concrete floor of my garage looking for a leak in my power sterring system.

I found fluid inside the driver's side tie rod boot.

I'm assuming this means my rack is shot?

It's beyond my ability to fix this myself, and I definately can't do it in my small, unheated garage. The only shops open today are Sears and Goodyear, neither can get the part until at least tuesday, and frankly I would rather have my normal mech. or the dealership to do this work

I buttoned everything back up, hopefully I didnt make the leak worse by digging around under there.

With school and work, it could be midweek before I can get it into a shop. If I keep a close eye on the PS fluid level, will very limited driving (~30 miles city driving per day) for the next few days trash anything else?

How much can I expect to pay for the fix?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
All I can give you is the part cost as we changed mine in the driveway... IIRC, the part was somewhere in the neighborhood of $250, and it took a couple of hours to replace.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for parts and labor, cost me 500. 200+ bucks for pump alone when it should be 80-100

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
He's not talking about replacing the PS pump, but the steering rack.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
i have a used rack,less than 15,000mile on it. Think it has inner tie rods still on it,been awhile since laid eyes on it. $100-you pay shipping. I am at 40601.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd say should be okay for awhile. Just watch your fluid levels pretty closely.

Do you notice any slop in the steering?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Labor time for replacing the R&P is 5.5 hours so times that by how much your local labor rate per hour is and expect $200-$400 for a remaned rack,$1200+ for a new one.You also will need a alignment which is not part of the 5.5 hours of labor.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If your steering is still good, I'd think you still have some time. The steering in my KJ was getting a little sloppy by the time we replaced my steering rack.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool.
I'm assuming the new rack will include the inner tie rods, should I go ahead and do the outer tie rods too? My KJ has ~113k and the tie rods are original as far as I know.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Rack I bought included the inners. Outers aren't difficult to change, should you have to do it later... but I don't see how it could hurt doing it all at once.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an appointment at the stealership on thursday. Quote was about $1000 with a reman. rack, including alignment. ( I forgot to ask about doing the outer tie rods) It's a bit spendy, but the dealership is only about 1/2mi. from school. I can drop it off before classes and pick it up on my way to work.

Will they have to remove the shocks to swap the PS rack? I'm wondering if I need to mention the clevis lift or not. If they drop it back down then align it, it'll be all goofy when I raise it back up.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They shouldn't need to mess with that but you never know. They are going to look at you in an odd way if you say anything about a Clevis lift.