Power Steering Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocbobdana

Reaction score
I have a loud squeeling noise coming from my power steering pump, it used to just be there at start up and then after it warms up it goes away, but now it seems to be noisy all the time, other than the noise it works fine, but it is disturbing the neighbors, anyone have any ideas other than replacing it ?

dnm45227

Reaction score
Loose belt, or fluid level. Check fluid, and try some belt dressing. If the dressing works, you may want to see if the belt needs to be tightend/replaced.

Not sure if it's a serpintine w/auto tightner or not, haven't had to fool around under the hood on ours yet. Knock on wood.

KJAZ

Reaction score
Could be air in the system. Air will destroy the pump vanes so I would definately check for leaks ane then bleed the system. Mine is doing the same thing only when cold. I am going to bleed the bastard ASAP!

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try fresh fluid. Just siphon out the old stuff and replace it. Mine was squawking and now it's quiet again even in cold weather. You might have to do it a couple of times so the old stuff flows through...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not put belt dressing on serp belts,it will ruin them and make them squeal worse.

I'd try replacing the belt tensioner,it may be weak and not keeping the belt at the right tension.It's one bolt to change.The tensioners should always be changed with the serp belt since the spring in the tensioner wears out just as fast as the belt.

KJAZ

Reaction score
noisy when cold

Another thought I had was that since the noise only happens when the pump is cold, the power steering fluid gets more viscous and then as the fluid warms up it thins out and the pump quits howling. I think I will look into a synthetic fluid -

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive actually been having this problem for a couple winters. heres my theory:

it makes noise only when cold, and there is air in the system (foamy fluid)

i think that a hose seal leaks when it gets cold and is allowing air to enter the system. when it warms up the seal reseals and some of the air is bled out from normal driving.

i dunno... maybe?

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing on cold mornings. I will be flusihing out all the old fluid here soon w/ Amsoil's new syn power steering fluid. hopefully that will cure it. I will be looking into teh tensioner though and probably replacing That and the belt too.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, anyone have a good, cheap dealer to order hard parts from?
I was just quoted $96.25 for the tensioner and $195 for the pump (in case I decide to just replace it) oh, and $53.35 for the belt....was told that the new tensioner "requires" That belt..."mumble..mumble..think it is a different length due to changes to the tensioner" he said....?!?! Anyone else hear that?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just quoted $96.25 for the tensioner and $195 for the pump (in case I decide to just replace it) oh, and $53.35 for the belt....was told that the new tensioner "requires" That belt..."mumble..mumble..think it is a different length due to changes to the tensioner" he said....?!?! Anyone else hear that?
Goodyear tensioner and belt cost me $150 for both from Checkers,so yeah those prices seem about right.And yes there is a new tensioner that requires a different belt,I'd highly recommend staying away from the OEM tensioners(there junk),the belts are good.

Try here for a pump-----http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...8&make=17&model=Liberty&year=2004&catalogid=1

trailman

Reaction score

My pump was making a squealing noise in the morning. First trip to the dealer, they replaced the tensioner and belt. The tensioner was covered under warranty but the belt wasn't. Apparently they had to use a new belt because this was the third upgraded tensioner for this engine and it was different from the other two. 70 dollars for the belt too! Oh yeah, by the way another couple of trips to the dealer and they ended up replacing the power steering pump and the problem was solved. This was what I originally told them was wrong with it.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, bit the bullet and ordered the pump, tensioner and belt from Wykhoff. Certainly a better deal than local dealer that had to order it anyway.