power adders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

street_jeepKJ

Reaction score
hi, have a 05 liberty limited and have done some basic mods to add alittle hp but want to know opinions on what else I can do. its the RWD model so doesn't see too much off road and its mainly a street jeep.

already have intake, headers, exhaust and jet chip but want to know opinions for more hp and will soon be having my ecu flashed.

also hear about changing the gears (4.10 gears for ex) and wanted to know if anyone had info on that?

thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats about it
gears help for sure depending on tire size etc
since you just have the rears to do wouldn't be that bad

street_jeepKJ

Reaction score
thanks for the info, I have pretty much stock stires: 245/65/17 (f) 265/65/17 (r)

would the 4.10 gears help and where could I find a good deal?

sorry if its already in another thread

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gears, converter, Hypertech makes a tuner for yours. Get rid of the Jet chip, PCM's generally learn their way around them because you don't actually change anything.

street_jeepKJ

Reaction score
yea your right. I will get rid of the chip because the gains have went away. I found a company online through another jeep forum that will reflash my ecu for 350. there also in VA but could never find a hypertech tuner for my jeep. is it a handheld tuner from hypertech?

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea your right. I will get rid of the chip because the gains have went away. I found a company online through another jeep forum that will reflash my ecu for 350. there also in VA but could never find a hypertech tuner for my jeep. is it a handheld tuner from hypertech?

Try this one:Hypertech 52501 Max Energy Power Programmer : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have it and it has worked well. However, I am currently saving for 4:10's which will give me more grunt where I need it.

bassmanbob

Reaction score
Hypertech part # 52001 also works and is much easier to find on craigslist as its the "older" model. Since everything is software update based you just have to update the tuner using the free software and choose dodge 3.7 engine. Works like a charm and power improvement is instantaneous upon flash. Good luck

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can also verify that the Hypertech programmer is a good addition.

Your best ECU tune will probably be the B&G flash, though it requires sending in your ECU to be programmed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would sooner spend the money and have B&G tune the ECU
better than any of the plug in programmers
Was never much impressed with any of them. Of course never tried on a KJ but on others wasn't worth it to me

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a straight through throttle body bore on my 02. works great, zero issues boring the spare stock one and installing it, zero issues with the engine computer, I did get an increase in throttle response and "seat of the pants" dyno, and I did see an increase in average mpg from 13.3mpg to 16.9, which is mostly city. I can chalk that increase up to better throttle response off the line. To cruise at any speed now, I do not have to depress the gas pedal more than 1/8 of the way.

On a trip this weekend, 300 miles round trip with half of it being mississippi area SE WI/northern IL (which is all extremely hilly) I saw an average of 19mpg. At cruise on a flat surface I saw 29mpg on the OHC at 68mph.

It's a simple thing to help, with great results.

street_jeepKJ

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. As far as throttle body bored thats sounds goid and need to look into how to do it or get a shop to do it. As far as the ecu I did reach out to b&g and arrington preformance reached back out and said I would need to send them my ecu and for 350 they can flash it for me. From what ive read I think that woukd be the best option. As for the hypertech I need to look it up to see how much they cost in comparison to the 350 reflash. I have a dd so sending in my ecu is not a problem since im in va and so is Arrington performance. I just want the best bang for my buck and so ecu is key and along with what I have already plus the 4.10 gears and boring out the throttle body should make this one bad 3.7 libby