Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unknown if it will be a class II or class III hitch,will not come with wiring that is known.

Presumably, there is a Mopar wiring loom available? Or something from Tractor Supply or what not?

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found out anything more about the hitches and when they will be widely be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found out anything more about the hitches and when they will be widely be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did phone a big local dealer the other day, and they did not know yet. They also said that even when the letters go out saying that the parts are available to call and check with them, because they have been known to put out those letters before much stock is available.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I don't think this recall is being made a huge deal in any aspects. I've been keeping my eyes and ears open at the dealership nothing really is being done, in truth only one Liberty in a month has come in for the hitch recall aside me which I was told it was on technically standby, this was when I got my lower control arms for the rear replaced under that recall.

mad mechanic

Reaction score
Mat ,we have had several through our workshop recently for the m35 recall and the new one for the hitch was showing as on hold in the uk. Heard about what it was on a training course a few weeks ago but looks like we will have it over here in the near future.

Mat

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I will try find a local dealer and see if any recalls are due on mine

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here

Updated April 11, 2014 5:30 p.m. ET
Parts to repair 1.56 million older-model Chrysler Group LLC Jeeps, recalled because of a danger of fuel-tank fires, won't be available until August, more than a year after the company first agreed to recall the vehicles.

The auto maker, now a unit of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles F.MI -1.61% NV, blamed the slow response on the complexity of engineering a fix and enlisting suppliers to build the parts. While Chrysler parts production will start next month, availability isn't expected for another three months, according a posting on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

"Launching a safety recall demands complex engineering and close collaboration with NHTSA well before an auto maker accumulates replacement parts," the company said in a statement. The proposed fix would install a trailer hitch assembly to the back of 1993-1998 model year Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty sport-utility vehicles.

Clarence Ditlow, executive director of safety advocate the Center for Auto Safety, which petitioned Chrysler to recall the Jeeps in 2009, said it is unacceptable that it will take Chrysler more than a year to fix the vehicles, especially since adding a trailer hitch isn't "complex engineering."

The more time that passes to repair the SUVs, the more lives are put at risk, he said. "NHTSA has failed because they have the authority to force an auto maker to contract with additional suppliers and repair facilities to expedite a recall that has a serious safety risk," he said. Mr. Ditlow is skeptical of the trailer hitch fix and has urged NHTSA to crash test vehicles with the proposed remedy to ensure it works.

NHTSA said it has been in regular communication with Chrysler on the recall. "NHTSA is anxious to see Chrysler move forward with their announced actions," the agency said. "Consumers should have their vehicles serviced promptly once they receive final notification from Chrysler."

Chrysler agreed to recall the Jeeps last June, after first rejecting a previous request by U.S. safety regulators to fix as many as 2.7 million vehicles. NHTSA had linked the Jeeps' fuel-tank design and placement with fiery rear-end collisions that led to 51 deaths.

The Auburn Hills, Mich., auto maker also agreed to inspect and, if needed, replace non-Chrysler Mopar brand towing hitches on 1.14 million 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees at no cost to owners.

Chrysler has argued its Jeeps are safe and have no design defect. It has already contacted customers about the recall and will notify them again to schedule a repair, it said.

"To accommodate high-volume production, Chrysler Group had to find and enlist new supplier partners who required time to acquire necessary tooling," Chrysler said on Friday.

Allan J. Kam, a consultant who served 25 years as an enforcement attorney at NHTSA, called the repair delay "quite unusual" for recalls. "Usually a remedy is a lot quicker than that," Mr. Kam said, noting that often it is completed within a few months.

General Motors Co. GM -0.63% is currently rushing to get replacement parts to dealers to fix 2.6 million older-model Chevy Cobalts, Saturn Ions and other compact cars found to an ignition-switch defect linked to 13 deaths.

While the company said it would start shipping parts April 7, some dealers say they have yet to receive initial supplies and still aren't sure when they will arrive. GM on Thursday estimated its recall cost would rise to $1.3 billion as it covers the costs of repairs and rental cars for customers who don't want to drive the recall cars until they can be fixed.

Chrysler took a $151 million charge in the second quarter last year related to the Jeep recall.

Separately, Chrysler said Friday it expected to take a first-quarter charge of $130 million because of Venezuela's moves to devalue its currency.

Chrysler's estimate follows similar announcements from other auto makers. General Motors said it expected a $400 million first-quarter charge, while Ford Motor Co. F -1.01% announced a $350 million charge.

Chrysler said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it is now using an exchange rate of 10.7 bolívares to the U.S. dollar, compared with the 6.3 exchange rate used previously. Both GM and Ford are using a rate of 10.8 bolívares.

Write to Christina Rogers at [email protected]

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the article. I'm going to say it once again, these vehicles met safety standards at the time of their production. You always run the risk in one fashion or another of a fuel tank rupturing in the event of an accident, does not matter where the tank is placed. It does not matter, you can be slammed by a Semi your vehicles length smashed to half of what it was and the tank will most likely rupture. This has opened a Pandora's Box to forcing even older vehicles to have retrofits saying they don't meet today's standards despite meeting standards of the time they were built. I have stated this before "What's next? Fitting cars from the 80's with Air Bags all the way around?"

Norman

Reaction score
Canadian

I'm looking for a little help on this trailer hitch issue. I'm the owner of a 2006 Jeep Liberty trail rated. There is no trailer hitch installed.
I called Chrysler Canada today. They told me my vehicle is not going to be considered for the recall based on the VIN#. I'm very puzzled why I was denied??

Road Safety Recalls Database

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the article. I'm going to say it once again, these vehicles met safety standards at the time of their production. You always run the risk in one fashion or another of a fuel tank rupturing in the event of an accident, does not matter where the tank is placed. It does not matter, you can be slammed by a Semi your vehicles length smashed to half of what it was and the tank will most likely rupture. This has opened a Pandora's Box to forcing even older vehicles to have retrofits saying they don't meet today's standards despite meeting standards of the time they were built. I have stated this before "What's next? Fitting cars from the 80's with Air Bags all the way around?"

I've heard that they are looking into roll over accidents on Model Ts now. They'll more than likely make them lower them, add wider wheels and tires and add in airbags all around .
But seriously It is all a crock for sure and most everyone is lining up like they are getting a free ****** for the day or something. :Insane::Insane:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
A free hitch isn't going to give you a disease, so it has that going for it. :icon_mrgreen:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that they are looking into roll over accidents on Model Ts now. They'll more than likely make them lower them, add wider wheels and tires and add in airbags all around .
But seriously It is all a crock for sure and most everyone is lining up like they are getting a free ****** for the day or something. :Insane::Insane:

Yeah but I'm looking at it this way, saves me 350 bucks to have U-Haul throw it on even though I would get a better price being a former employee for them. I can do the wiring myself but I honestly don't mind having a hitch thrown on. I had been considering buying at Hitch when I got the KJ so this just helped out.

Oh by the way I heard that original Model A's will have to be redone with a roof attachment fitted with Airbags, actual LED headlamps and working Brake Lamps. Somebody also said the emissions might have to be reconfigured and all owners will get free engine upgrades to Fords new Ecoboost at no additional cost.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

What recall was that? I must have missed it! LOL

Dave

Members online

No members online now.