possible project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
random project thoughts..... i was thinking of buying used front and rear diff assemblies (ebay or salvage yard ) and new 4.10's or 4.56's and swapping the gears to the used housings myself as a project that way i dont have to have my jeep torn apart due to the learning curve of no experience

thoughts ? things i should look for ? is this even possible with the assemblies out ?

...be gentle haha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
random project thoughts..... i was thinking of buying used front and rear diff assemblies (ebay or salvage yard ) and new 4.10's or 4.56's and swapping the gears to the used housings myself as a project that way i dont have to have my jeep torn apart due to the learning curve of no experience

thoughts ? things i should look for ? is this even possible with the assemblies out ?

...be gentle haha

Have you ever set up diffs before, do you have all of the tools?
If not I'd let someone else do it.
I used to do all of them at a Ford dealership, but after not doing it all of the time, I just let someone do it that does it regularly
PLUS if they screw it up its their fault not yours
But getting JY diffs and having it done before had is a good idea espicially for the front, rear is easy for a regular diff guy

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PLUS if they screw it up its their fault not yours
:signs75::gr_grin:

x10000000

The reason I didn't touch the transmission rebuild in my Jeep. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if rebuilding a diff is one of those things that if you have to ask how to do it it's best not to do it. I'm in the same camp. All I'm good for changing fluid in them. :gr_grin:

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:signs75::gr_grin:

x10000000

The reason I didn't touch the transmission rebuild in my Jeep. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if rebuilding a diff is one of those things that if you have to ask how to do it it's best not to do it. I'm in the same camp. All I'm good for changing fluid in them. :gr_grin:

How would one learn how to do it if they can't ask?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How would one learn how to do it if they can't ask?

Ya learn either being taught by a teacher, working with an old pro etc.
You can watch videos, but sitting up gears correctly is both by using the right tools and by feel. Doi g gears is something that you just dont do once and you're a pro at it. I did it over 5 years in a dealership along with transmission rebuilds and suspension. But today since I dont do trannys or gears on a regular basis, I leave those to the pros. Much cheaper in the long run:happy175:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah , I won't touch axel gearing and I'm game for almost any job. For my f150 I had the dealer rebuild it, my jeeps I get junk yard axels from as low a mile donor as possible.

I really looked into rebuilding a Dana 35 for my oldest Cherokee it has a rare gearing unique to early AMC XJ. Ended up welding a ford 8.8 in.

There are a ton of write ups online, and plenty of parts at decent prices. It seems like it's one job that is easy to fubar and you will not know it until you use it.

Back when I read up on rebuilding axels, now common knowledge is its not worth the trouble of DIY.
I'd definitely buy the axles from a junkyard, just don't know about a DIY rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do have access to the tools and people with experience to help me, i have the knowledge of how to do it but knowing and doing are two different things as my grandpa always said, and have experience with similar gearing jobs with our farm equipment.

so ill just slowing start getting all the parts and if worse comes to worse at least a shop wont charge for the labor to drop the front assembly :emotions34:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
When I'm in that situation I ask the old pros. If they tell me it's easy, I go for it. If they hesitate or act negatively, I don't.

I think you have your answer, but I admire your willingness to try. :)

Latest posts

Members online