Possible PCM damage. 2002 KJ 3.7L V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing more research, which is all I can really do right now because of lousy weather and a dwindling budget, I think I may have found my original problem.

When my daughter's '02 KJ, 3.7L V6 originally overheated back in July of 2017, her e-fan was not kicking on. She sat so long with her blinkers on that her battery went dead. My wife drove almost all the way to IUP to give her a jump and bring her some coolant. I was at work at this time.

Her KJ battery wasn't taking a charge from our 04 WJ, so after work, I brought her a new battery. My wife is no dumby, but the person that had the red rubber cover over the NEGATIVE terminal was a complete idiot. I noticed the mistake too late, I feel.

We've been fighting this thing ever since, and I believe the PCM was damaged on that day. After much thought, my 2000 Dodge Ram Van and my 2000 WJ were both acting very similar to her KJ when I replaced PCMs in them with success.. Sometimes it is hard to start, sometimes it runs beautifully, sometimes it runs rough and won't idle.....so on and so forth....

With all the weird codes popping up and disappearing and her engine in an inconsistent state of performance, I believe my next move is a PCM. I hate to just throw parts at it, but who can disagree that her PCM was most likely damaged due to the crossed battery cables? I'm just lucky my wife's '04 PCM wasn't damaged in the process.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Maybe it is the pcm. I knew someone who blew out the computer jumping off a strangers car.
In general these PCM are pretty tough. But you have a unique circumstance with crossing the polarity. I don’t know. Any fuses that could have blow out instead of cooking the computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A reversed polarity on the PCM would usually totally destroy the PCM.

Before thinking of replacing it you should disconnect the battery, re-plug the PCM connectors a few times.

Also make sure the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative lead to chassis is clean and tight and the grounding straps to the engine block are clean and tight.

I had funny problems on the ECM on my 2002 Export CRD which I traced down to a missing ground at the ECM module. I added a ground to the metal case of the ECM and that fixed my issues....later repaired the correct broken ground wire!

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a module on the passenger side of the '02 KJ with part number 56041564AJ. Is that my PCM?

If it is, what's the module on the driver's side?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I want to say the passenger side one is the TCM and the driver's side should be PCM.