Popping ticking sound when turning at slow speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard this a couple weeks ago and figured maybe it was a piece of gravel in the tread since I been in a gravel parking lot the day before and I also saw some small pieces in the tread.

Last weekend I changed the brakes and also removed any gravel pieces from the tread. I am still hearing this popping/ ticking sound when I turn left and I am going slow. Any ideas? I did some research and I didnt find anything that was fitting what I had as far as description.

https://youtu.be/zbotGfyVxOU

Thanks
Andrew

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a CV pop to me. Check the play in the front CVs as well as the front driveshaft.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I was wondering if it was. I searched popping sound and came across a guy with loose lug nuts, one had a driveshaft.

It was the way it sounded that was throwing me off, it sounded very ,much like a rock in the tread but it was too soon before a full tire rotation. I will check the CVs and front driveshaft and see what I can find there.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CV joint at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft - makes lots of goofy noises like that. It's probably making the same noise turning right, you just haven't noticed it when you're turning that way ;)

Bob

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance here, I am researching some information on the CV joint/axles.

I have always had rear wheel drive vehicles. The jeep is the first 4x4 I have owned (have had work trucks with 4x4 but they were always dealer serviced) and I am a straight up newbie to the CV axles/ joint when it comes to working on them.

So the CV joint for the front driveshaft could be popping when turning right or left? I have heard it when going both directions, but not when driving straight at slow speeds. Or would this be the actual CV axle itself popping due to wear?

Thanks
Andrew

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
removed front driveshaft last night, CV joint is shot

While the driver's tire was up in the air (and driveshaft removed)I decided to see if I could hear the popping noise with me turning the tire by hand. I heard it a few times but it was not consistent. I could turn the tire once and hear it, then 3 times and hear it and then 15 times with nothing.

When I drove it this morning i listened for the popping when I was making slow turns and I am not hearing anything now. Any ideas?