Please help. Where to get another non-used engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bond007taz

Reaction score
Blew the engine last week. Need a new engine. Has 130k on it. I don't want a used engine but I can't figure out where to buy remanufactured engine or crate engine from. 2004 with older 3 slot PCM.
Any suggestions for a place that doesn't take 13 weeks to special order an engine? I know I have to find an engine that has the older crankshaft, right?
VIN:
1J8GL38K94W114491
You must be registered for see images attach

1ino

Reaction score
I just bought a used engine yesterday, I am debating on removing heads and getting the valve seats replaced before installing engine.
I was looking at a remanufactured engine, but after reading mostly negative reviews I chose to stay away from them, al the remanufactured engines seem to come from wrecking yards and I don't trust them, these people at not professionals when it comes to rebuilding engines, and no guarantee on probably the Chinese parts they are using.
A crate long block is going to be really pricy probably 5-8k if you can find one.
Buy a used engine and get the heads done or a complete rebuild by a reputable shop.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a used engine yesterday, I am debating on removing heads and getting the valve seats replaced before installing engine.
I was looking at a remanufactured engine, but after reading mostly negative reviews I chose to stay away from them, al the remanufactured engines seem to come from wrecking yards and I don't trust them, these people at not professionals when it comes to rebuilding engines, and no guarantee on probably the Chinese parts they are using.
A crate long block is going to be really pricy probably 5-8k if you can find one.
Buy a used engine and get the heads done or a complete rebuild by a reputable shop.
Call your local machine shop, they will likely be able to install valve seats, and valve keeps they can lap the valves too

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
I am parting out a 2005 Liberty with a bent frame. The engine runs but it has a dropped valve. Unfortunately, Virginia Beach is NOT close to Colorado!

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blew the engine last week. Need a new engine. Has 130k on it. I don't want a used engine but I can't figure out where to buy remanufactured engine or crate engine from. 2004 with older 3 slot PCM.
Any suggestions for a place that doesn't take 13 weeks to special order an engine? I know I have to find an engine that has the older crankshaft, right?
VIN:
1J8GL38K94W114491

Did you check Jasper? Also I believe a few Dodge truck came with the 3.7?

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VIN:
1J8GL38K94W114491
I had good luck with these guys:

Shipping was reasonable too (to Durango, CO).

I agree that reman is the way to go (make sure the valve seats are secured (pinned?)). Also recommend you go through your cooling system and replace water pump, thermostat, hoses and if you have any doubt about your radiator replace it too.

JMichael2006

Reaction score
bond007taz: Quite a few of our members have purchased 3.7 Jasper engines with good success.
Nation wide 3 year, 100,000 mile warranties.
Chances are in Colorado, there may be a few locations close to you.
https://products.jasperengines.com/why-jasper

I have used Jasper engine before for customer cars of all types. We have taken Jasper reman's and warmed them up with good results. They have good quality work and components.

KevinCrites

Reaction score
VIN:
1J8GL38K94W114491

I just purchased a remanufactured from this outfit. I am happy with the engine.

Attachments

• 20231103_175111.jpg
    20231103_175111.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 7

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
I too recently replaced my engine. I struggled with weather to go with a junk yard motor or a new motor. I ended up going with the new motor which I bought from flengines4less.com in Hialeah FL. I only have 1,100 miles on the new motor so far, but runs great. I got a full rebuild (they did the install). My previous motor ran good, but had 249k miles. The compression was low (avg 150) and when I would change the oil, there were metal flakes and the oil was metallicy. Obviously the motor was on it's way out.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too recently replaced my engine. I struggled with weather to go with a junk yard motor or a new motor. I ended up going with the new motor which I bought from flengines4less.com in Hialeah FL. I only have 1,100 miles on the new motor so far, but runs great. I got a full rebuild (they did the install). My previous motor ran good, but had 249k miles. The compression was low (avg 150) and when I would change the oil, there were metal flakes and the oil was metallicy. Obviously the motor was on it's way out.
How is the power and fuel economy vs your old one?

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
How is the power and fuel economy vs your old one?
The new motor runs good. I have mud tires on the car with stock gears, so the power although better, I would say what I noticed is that the power comes on much smother. I haven't checked gas mileage yet as I was waiting to break the motor in first. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles like they required. The oil looked great, no metal or anything.

JamesM

Reaction score

No idea if they are any good, but I searched Jeep 3.7L remanufactured engine.
I purchased a crate engine from them in 2019 for my 2006 liberty, 5 year unlimited mile warranty. Total cost was around $4,300. I swapped engine myself and altogether I spent about $5,000. They do make you replace the intake manifold or it voids the warranty. They will order you gasket set and break in oil and you pick it up at your local Autozone. I got new intake manifold from RockAuto.com and it was around $319. I have about 12,000 miles on new engine and have had no issues. They also cover cost of shipping core back to them, which alot or rebuilders do not. Sometimes cost of shipping is more than the credit on the core.

JamesM

Reaction score
VIN:
1J8GL38K94W114491

This is where I got mine from, 5 year unlimited mile warranty. 23,000 miles and on new engine and no issues so far. My jeep about to turn 300,000.

JamesM

Reaction score
I purchased a crate engine from them in 2019 for my 2006 liberty, 5 year unlimited mile warranty. Total cost was around $4,300. I swapped engine myself and altogether I spent about $5,000. They do make you replace the intake manifold or it voids the warranty. They will order you gasket set and break in oil and you pick it up at your local Autozone. I got new intake manifold from RockAuto.com and it was around $319. I have about 23,000 miles on new engine and have had no issues. They also cover cost of shipping core back to them, which alot or rebuilders do not. Sometimes cost of shipping is more than the credit on the core.