Please help my decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in trouble with the decision I have to take in the next days.

As you all know overseas we do still have the option of CRD engine.
Given the obvious difference in MPG - HP - Torque, and knowing that in an year I rarely drive for more than 8000-10000 Km (6000 Miles :) ) thus having little fuel cost difference, would you choose a 2.8 CRD or the 3.7 fuel engine ???

Wich one is adviceable on a city driving mainly basis with w-e highway trips to skiing areas without doing off-road?

Please help me becouse the CRD I ordered is arriving and if I have to shift to the 3.7, it must be done in the next week.

Beside the "noise", with which engine you get more fun?

Thanks to anyone who will gently help me.

Rob, a Jeep lover

dnm45227

Reaction score
we have one of each. i like the crd for lack of maint. (no spark plugs, etc.), expected engine life, and the noise makes a nice growl to me. my wife prefers the 3.7 because it's quieter.

only advice i can offer is, if you even think you want a crd get it. if you don't you will always wonder.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I haven't had the possibility to test drive a 3.7, I guess you have both driven both engines.

I've seen that the CRD noise decreses almost completely at cruising speeds and at working temperature, so it's just a matter, for the noise, of choosing between "rock'n roll and pop music" :) .

But what about driving experience, do like better CRD or 3.7 reactions in traffic and on uphills interstates (I mean NOT offroad) ?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The 3.7L is a quiet engine once it gets warmed up... however if you have the towing package, cold starts can be pretty dramatic. The price of fuel these days is downright ridiculous, I'd go with the 2.8L diesel. It's a bit rough, especially in cold weather, and loud but it gets the job done. Over here, I love the comments I get:

HEY, YOU'RE AT THE WRONG PUMP!
THAT THING TAKE DIESEL?
DID YOU IMPORT IT?
HOW MUCH DID IT COST TO IMPORT THAT?
HOW MUCH DOES IT TAKE TO FILL UP THAT TANK?
YOU CAN GO 500 MILES ON A FULL TANK? HOW?
WHY IS IT MAKING THAT HORRIBLE NOISE?
IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR?

Neither engines have major problems... they both seem to be in it for the long haul.

If you're not doing much highway, you won't see much of a fuel savings. Diesels are highway kings. In the city... they're simply OK. But that growl is beautiful though! :D Lately I've been averaging about 20MPG city. That's great considering the 15/16 I was averaging when it was new.

Last edited:

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7L is a quiet engine once it gets warmed up... however if you have the towing package, cold starts can be pretty dramatic. The price of fuel these days is downright ridiculous, I'd go with the 2.8L diesel. It's a bit rough, especially in cold weather, and loud but it gets the job done. Over here, I love the comments I get:

HEY, YOU'RE AT THE WRONG PUMP!
THAT THING TAKE DIESEL?
DID YOU IMPORT IT?
HOW MUCH DID IT COST TO IMPORT THAT?
HOW MUCH DOES IT TAKE TO FILL UP THAT TANK?
YOU CAN GO 500 MILES ON A FULL TANK? HOW?
WHY IS IT MAKING THAT HORRIBLE NOISE?
IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR?

Neither engines have major problems... they both seem to be in it for the long haul.

If you're not doing much highway, you won't see much of a fuel savings. Diesels are highway kings. In the city... they're simply OK. But that growl is beautiful though! :D Lately I've been averaging about 20MPG city. That's great considering the 15/16 I was averaging when it was new.

that is awesome!! i'm getting about 14mpg

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea Marlon, as you know 90% of Cherokees (Libertys) here in Italy are CRD and the averege known from italian Jeep forums is 19 MPG.

Obviously if you go uphill MPG decreases...I've just read a post regarding a trip up in the italian mountains of 220 Km with 40 Euros of gasoline wich is, converted, 137 miles with 9 Gallons (1 liter= 1.15 Euros)...15 MPG pushing uphill the automatic transmission with 3 people onboard.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Heh, that sounds about right. I call BS on everyone who claims they get anything above 20 in the city. I don't think I'll ever get higher than that. I don't see how it's possible unless you want everyone to run over you. Then again, this is the US. Most people can drive well.... but the ones who can't... let that be known each and every time they get on the roads.

I don't think I"d buy another gas powered Liberty. I talked to this dude at work with a Liberty diesel and the only thing he buys gas for is his lawnmower. The Jeep, truck and MB (i think he said...) were all diesel.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mmm...yea I agree, it's full of BSminded drivers all over the world, thinking they are the best and thinking that everybody will believe their BS.

I was a gas and stick "integralist" but I'm starting to believe that you have to get gas engines only if you get a Ferrari or a Viper.
If someone gets a Liberty and starts using it like it was a GT wrc.gif kicking down the foot...he is ready for a psychiatrist!screwy.gif
I'm really starting to believe that a Liberty is perfectly coupled with the diesel and the automatic.\\:D/

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, a stick is better, but I "have" to choose automatic becouse I want Selec-Trac for the full-time 4x4 on wet and slightly snowy roads in winter time...otherwise I'd have gone for the stick.

Members online

No members online now.