Please Help: How to avoid tearing CV Boot on 3 1/2” lift install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good-day to all :),

I managed to tear-off driver side stock CV Boot when installing my OME 31/2” lift :(. Does anybody know of any ideas or tricks to avoid tearing another Boot.

My J.E. Reel CV assembly are on the way soon ;).

Thanks,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure wrap a rag around it and be careful installing it
have installed over a dozen lifts on KJs , and had mine apart numerous times trying different setups and have never torn a boot.

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 1/2" lift 790HD & OME strut end is long and strut fork directly hits the cv boot when trying to align the strut fork also the amount of pressure generated with the ratchet straps pushing the fork towards the boot when installing lower bolt resulting in tearing the boot.

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get everything back together?

If not, can you take a picture?

The strut assembly should be going towards the rotor, push down on the LCA as much as you can, tighten up the ratchet slowly and raise the LCA to meet the clevis fork.

Is the sway bar disconnected?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you have both sides hanging even if one side is put together let it hang do not support it or put a jack or jack stand under it. It makes easyer on the other side and will give a little more room. just guessing

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve completely removed the lift kit earlier awaiting the J.E. Reel’s CV Assembly to arrive from Al’s in-order to replace stock torn boot & assembly. I’m mainly concerned about this happening again to my new J.E. Reel assembly sad2.gif .

Thanks,

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you reinstall the drivers side. Put a nut or two loosely on the studs to keep the strut assembly seated, but to allow it to move freely. If you are doing this by yourself, you can use a bottle jack or your factory scissor jack to push the LCA down more to get it the bottom of the fork lined up better.

Also, wrap the boot really well like Tommudd said... he's done more lifts than a L.A. plastic surgeon.. (bowdown)

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you TexasRock, I’ll blend Tommudd and your advice in one try and hope it works out icon996.gif .

Latest posts

Members online