Please Help! 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ukrainian Jeep

Reaction score
To all Jeep enthusiasts,

I have read this forum multiple time to help me keep my Jeep Liberty running. However yesterday someting uneblievable happened. So I was doing a bit of off roading and all of a sudden I lost all power to the wheels. I thought maybe my trasnfer box had gotten stuck in N or quite possibly the transmission blew.

Symtoms:

Engine starts right up and sounds great.
When changing into any gear there is not a vibration, movement, or change at all.
Not receiving any power to the wheels in any gear. (even reverse)

I checked the ATF fluid and the level is fine.

Receiving two check engine codes (P 0700 and P 0836)

I had the car towed to my driveway and where it will be waiting for its fate. Either selling for parts or fixing the problem. I consider myself a decent do-it-yourself kind of guy so would appreciate any detailed information about this problem...

Another thing. Checked the connection between the gear shifter for 4WD and the transfer box. The cable is connected and Shifts normally.

What I think!

It could be that the transfer box has broken and remained stuck in N

OR

the transmission is done for. :(

I would appreciate some information ASAP as this is my daily driver and will need to act fast.

Thanks!!!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0700 indicates a ****** issue but this is just a general CEL code.
You'll need one of those expensive scanners that can communicate w/ the TCM.

P0836 is the 4WD switch issue. Checking the connections and wiring.

Ukrainian Jeep

Reaction score
Thanks

Hello Thanks for the post but your response is something I have already discovered on the internet. Hoping there is someone who has a similar problem or had one and could tell me what to do as I am debating selling the car for parts...

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all your fluids when i didnt have enough fluid in ny trans it would not shift into any gear. Unless you trans was shifting hard or slipping it is pretty unlikely your trans went out. The trans in a 2002 is pretty beefy for a 3.7L.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the "Park" position engage properly and hold vehicle in place? Does "Neutral" position allow it to free roll? Have you tried with Transfer in various positions?

Bob

Ukrainian Jeep

Reaction score

So. The car does go into park and it does roll in Neutral. All the fluids checked and levels are fine.

Could it be the transfer case is stuck in Neutral? If so is there a way to manually take it out from Neutral?

Is there a way to test the transfer case?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Could it be the transfer case is stuck in Neutral" If so it would free wheel with trans shifter in "Park".

Bob

Ukrainian Jeep

Reaction score
So any other ideas? should i find a replacement transmission? It is also hard to believe that the transmission just stopped operating but I never heard of a car starting running smoothly just getting no power to the wheels. What else can it be? Please someone save my Jeep :)

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Explain how it died any noises. Explain how it drove before. I think the t case would only be stuck in neutral if you had it in neutral. Same like people say it gets stuck in 4x4 after using 4x4. Like i said the trans is pretty beefy in the 2002s it should take some beating for it to die with no warning.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was 5quarts short on my atf i didn't get any clicking when i shifted to drive or reverse i also didnt get power. You check the fluid with the jeep running and in neutral. Get underneath look at everything from drive shaft to differential. Over look anything that looks wet or beat up.

Ukrainian Jeep

Reaction score
Ok thanks will definitely follow the steps you provided again but have already taken a good look around and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Any chance this could be a NSS problem? As I have found on the internet that it can show a p0700 code... Which I have along with the p0836 code.

Ukrainian Jeep

Reaction score
OK so I checked underneath the car and did notice only one thing. When the car was in gear nothing was moving. Driveshaft etc... I am starting to think My transmission did somehow crap out on me. I will sleep on it and will probably start a transmission replacement this weekend.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also find it hard to believe ****** went out with no warning noises/shudder. It sounds like something minor, but one never knows.

With engine running, shifter in drive; if you shift back to "Park" without depressing brake, any noises?

Bob

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put the transmission in park does it hold it from rolling? If it does, it is mechanically connected through the transfer case and most likely a transmission problem.

Have you removed the pan and checked for debris? By removing the pan you can also check to be sure the filter still in place. Also, if you remove the transmission, be sure to inspect the splines inside of the torque converter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.