Please explain the various types of differentials to me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the Renny have some sort of locker? If so, is it in the rear or front & rear differentials? Is a locker the same thing as posi-trac?

Also, how can I tell what kind I've got? There's a green sticker going around the rear left axle housing but it looks like part of the sticker got torn off somehow (and consequently, I can't read all the numbers on it.)

Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trac-loc(AKA trash lock) is a OEM limited slip carrier,it's clutch based,requires special additives,and will wear out after about 30,000 miles(if your lucky to get that many miles out of it).It would be in the rear diff only and was a option and was never standard in any KJ.It is just like a posi-trac,just as worthless also.If you want a good LSD get the Detroit True-Trac,it's gear driven and will outlast the KJ.Better yet get the ARB or Detroit locker for a true locker.