8.25 axle differential basket compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Dalby

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Crd 2.5 liberty. The rear axle needs rebuilding, and while I'm at it I plan to install a no slip Lockrite locker.
The original diff basket is the traclok type, which I'd rather replace than rebuild (part of the reason why the axle needs rebuilding is the disintegration of the clutch pack clips).

So, I need a standard dif basket, but the ones I can find only say they are compatible with 2004- 2007 Liberty's with 8.25 rear axle. Why is this? Is it because of the pre 2004 3 point abs (and tonering arrangement), or is it because the pre 2004 have the traclok?

any insights greatly appreciated.
It is 4.10 geared BTW.

This is the part number in question 52114574AA

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Far as I know, ABS was an option on 2002-2005 KJ's. 2002 had rear drum brakes, and all other non ABS libertys should have disc brakes with the 8.25 and the tone ring. I think the 2006-2007 had tc/esp/abs standard.

The limited slip was also optional on all KJ's.

Im not sure why it says its for the 2004-2007 only.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know when my Eaton TrueTrac installed, the shop had to replace the ring and pinion as well because of larger bolts to hold the ring gear to the carrier.

Paul Dalby

Reaction score
I didn't know that about the Eaton - but that replaces the whole carrier.
So I can't see any reason why earlier models are listed as incompatible, so as I've not bought the ring and pinion yet (I will try and re use existing first), I think I'll try it. I'll be sure to report findings back in the fullness of time.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2002 Export RHD CRD such as I have....May 2002.... at first came out without ABS, had Drum Brakes at the rear and the Trac Loc 410 limited slip diff at the rear.

Cooling was by a viscous fan only.

A few months later they came out with ABS as an option, Disk Brakes were standard at the rear, cooling was with Viscous Fan and an Electric fan fitted....wish I waited a few months more but there was no notice about the coming changes to the 2.5 l CRD.

My Trac Loc started binding in tight turns when still reasonably new so I replaced the Diff oil and added the correct Trac Loc additive and the Diff has been fine since then.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know when my Eaton TrueTrac installed, the shop had to replace the ring and pinion as well because of larger bolts to hold the ring gear to the carrier.

Not sure what this is all about, but Ive never heard of such. I just installed a TrueTrac and nothing was different.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember seeing something about a different thread pitch and maybe bolt pattern diameter on certain model years, but heck if I could ever find it again. Then again my memory is such I could have made it all up and convinced myself it's a true story.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
52114574AA is the metric threaded 8.25 with 29 spline axles, the previous open differential , was SAE threaded, The ring gear itself, doesn't care which you use, just make sure, to use the correct bolts, SAE for SAE threaded carrier, and Metric for Metric threaded carriers the metric one is M10x1.00x21.00 . That's all you have to sweat over until 2006 in terms of carriers. The 4AA pn carrier will work, as long as you get the appropriate metric bolts to bolt your ring gear up with. As long as the carrier is 29 spline axle that's all you're having to sort.

Latest posts

Members online