Places to buy plug wires and OEM headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.7 4x4.

Oreilly, Advance, NAPA, and Autozone don't have plug wires and replacement headers on their websites or in their systems in the stores. What's up with that?

A couple have universal plug wires by a company called BWD or something similar. I've found used headers on Ebay that were too used. Not looking for performance headers unless they fit the OEM catalytic down pipes and aren't a large fraction of the actual bluebook of the vehicle like most are.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because our engine doesn't have coil wires. It's a coil on plug setup, the coil and drop connector to the plug is one unit. Look for a specific Jeep aftermarket supplier for headers. Don't know what you're hoping to gain with headers though, to make it worth the cost and time.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.7 4x4.

Oreilly, Advance, NAPA, and Autozone don't have plug wires and replacement headers on their websites or in their systems in the stores. What's up with that?

A couple have universal plug wires by a company called BWD or something similar. I've found used headers on Ebay that were too used. Not looking for performance headers unless they fit the OEM catalytic down pipes and aren't a large fraction of the actual bluebook of the vehicle like most are.

We have a manifold...not a header. And it looks like they aren't even listed with MOPAR anymore.

EXHAUST MANIFOLD for 2004 Jeep Liberty

And as for wires...we have coil packs that fit over the spark plugs. Not wires as I believe you are referring to. Lots of options to replace the packs...here are some MOPAR ones:

IGNITION COIL for 2004 Jeep Liberty|56028138AF

Picture is a bit misleading. They look like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this helps.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason headers are hard to find is because they only added a couple of horse power. The last ones I saw were around $600.00.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JBA 1930S 1-1/2" Shorty Stainless Steel Exhaust Header for Jeep Liberty 3.7L 03-05

Amazon

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ JBA Performance Exhaust, not to be confused with Jeepin by Al. They're on opposite ends of the country too. Just thought I'd put that out there.
$500 is a chunk of change, not worth it IMO.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only way headers would help on a KJ is if you " built" the entire engine, then lots of money etc thrown at it and also at WOT you'd need the headers

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a auto 4x4 so I especially don't care about the 5-45 HP they typically give to cars on various part of the rev. I care because liberty headers have this interesting tendency to develop leaks and welders and muffler shops couldn't care less if they temper them right after welding with running etc..

I didn't know about the coil packs I barely even looked at the liberty internals so far.

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably be asking more stuff soon.

FYI: If you get a header leak don't run it like some guys have here.. You'll need new heads sooner than later it wears out the valve seating super fast and you'll get a rod knock(back-pressure and oxidation and I think even combustion).. Less than a hundred miles with traffic overhead fast..

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a auto 4x4 so I especially don't care about the 5-45 HP they typically give to cars on various part of the rev. I care because liberty headers have this interesting tendency to develop leaks and welders and muffler shops couldn't care less if they temper them right after welding with running etc..

I didn't know about the coil packs I barely even looked at the liberty internals so far.

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably be asking more stuff soon.

FYI: If you get a header leak don't run it like some guys have here.. You'll need new heads sooner than later it wears out the valve seating super fast and you'll get a rod knock(back-pressure and oxidation and I think even combustion).. Less than a hundred miles with traffic overhead fast..

In over 12 years being on the forums have never heard of anyone with a header leak, now the 4.0s....totally different story

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the manifold actually cracked?
going back with Used should be cheap and easy to find locally or eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, of all the different issues people have had with their Liberty, I don't recall ever hearing about a cracked exhaust manifold epidemic??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You know, of all the different issues people have had with their Liberty, I don't recall ever hearing about a cracked exhaust manifold epidemic??

I never have either, thats why I commented, not sure where he is getting his info from. I'd say he's mixing XJs and KJs . Been on LOSTJEEPs, JEEPKJ, JEEPFORUM etc for well over 12 years and never heard of even one , well except for now , but no proof of that yet really

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the manifold actually cracked?
going back with Used should be cheap and easy to find locally or eBay.

New ones only cost like 50 bucks. Why bother with used.

Been on LOSTJEEPs, JEEPKJ, JEEPFORUM etc for well over 12 years and never heard of even one , well except for now , but no proof of that yet really

I thought about swapping in new manifolds when I did my HGs a few years ago but when I pulled the old ones off the heads they were in great shape. At the time this was on a 12 year old 02 with about 150k on it. Just cleaned them up and threw on some new gaskets. No problems since.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cheap? They look sturdy to start with never thought of aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But in your google searches, were you finding actual instances of cracked Liberty cast iron manifolds, or the more likely cracked (at a weld) non-Liberty steel manifold, a blown out manifold to head gasket, snapped bolts or studs, or a leaky donut gasket?

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM manifolds non-replaced from factory. Typically on the first connection weld. People also seem to have issues with the oil pumps just giving zero pressure pressure do to failure.. Statistics stuff

"manifold"/header leak threads are how I found the forum off Google.. Supposedly they happen do to motor mounts and poor casting and welds.

It's worth noting the only difference between a manifold and header is valve output separation and it's perfectly fine to use either to describe the part as they have the exact same placement and exact same function.. But whatever makes certain types of people feel smuuurter. These aren't performance vehicles so I don't see how it matters we don't need fine grained accuracy for dyno references etc..

If it's a manifold and I say header it takes a special type of person to be confused by that as you can't have both at once..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.