PCM fix for 5 speed, engine hesitation??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
years ago people were talking about the upshift hesitation from the engine when equipped with the 5 speed and 3.7L. The dealer had to reprogram something. Well I never did it back then, and now that I have fresh plugs and the motor runs so much better and smooth power, that upshift hesitation seems more profound. Anyone remember this issue?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what rpm's are you generally shifting gears? Is this your engine doggy-ness that you were reefering to in the lift kit thread?

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mainly noticed 1st to 2nd, a slight stumble in the engine. I remember but can't find, it was a TSB for the dealer to do a program update on the PCM. It only affected manual transmission KJs. Something with the fuel pulse or timing.
Really any RPM shift does it, but certainly more noticeable when getting on it hard. And I have been driving manuals for many years.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of a fix for it, but I know what you're talking about. Mine does it also. It's mildly irritating. Definitely noticeable when you get on it. The manufacturer recommends shifting at 2000 rpms, but that's way too high for 1st. I just use 1st to get rolling, then grab 2nd right away and wind the piss out of it. Not quite as bad then. But if you do figure out there's a fix for it, keep us posted.

Latest posts

Members online