Passenger side mirror Lost its swing capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

springroll

Reaction score
Hi:

Recently, my passenger side mirror was hit by a bike rider when my KJ was parked on the road. Up until yesterday, everything was fine, but when I tried to swing-close and swing-open the mirror this morning it stopped working. I rang service center and they said it would cost me 1000 bucks to get the whole rotor and mirror replaced (they won't fix it rather to replace it), this price is too ridiculous and I wish to investigate the problem it myself.

Has anyone here worked on the mirror of a KJ or seen any similiar posts somewhere might offer a good hint to this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

springroll

Reaction score
Can you swing it manually? Just wondering. The power folding mirrors weren't offered over in the US. (Bastards)

I can swing them manually, but I am afraid it will further damage the teeth in the mechanism. I am suprised they don't offer power folding mirrors in the states, not even in the latest models?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'd be scouring the boneyards to look for a mirror if I were you. Screw $1k. I can find much better ways to spend $1k. AUD or USD, lol.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be illegal to charge 1k for a mirror. Thats just insane.

Thats like charging 1k for a roll of toilet paper. They know youve got to have it, so they do it then laugh at you.

dutov

Reaction score
All the cars I've owned in Japan have the remote power side mirror. It's pretty sweet. When you park in tight parking spots just hit the button and the mirrors come in automotically. Pretty sweet!!!:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: $1,000..........:eek:

I think you should just get it adjusted so you can use it and leave it alone. In the meantime you could keep looking around for a replacement. As mentioned earlier. Eventually you will luck out and find one in a junkyard.

I always thought those automatic ones were neat, but not anymore. Some other vehicles have them here but not the KJ.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don't fold it anymore. $1k for a mirror? What's up with that? Does it tell you how beautiful you are everytime you ask?

springroll

Reaction score
Just don't fold it anymore. $1k for a mirror? What's up with that? Does it tell you how beautiful you are everytime you ask?

Totally agreed, these sales don't have any conscience, I have already started to look for a replacement, by the way, for the mirror replacement, does it require to take the door off? Any good tips?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agreed, these sales don't have any conscience, I have already started to look for a replacement, by the way, for the mirror replacement, does it require to take the door off? Any good tips?

I wouldn't imagine it would...just the interior door panel itself, behind that there's probably three screws mounting it to the door, and the wiring harness plug. You should be able to just unplug it and unbolt it off the door and swap in the replacement. I've never done it to one of these, but every other car I've owned that I've removed door panels/mirrors and such from was this way. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont have to take the door off, but youve got to take the panel off the inside of the door. Thats where the bolts are that hold it on.

springroll

Reaction score
I did a search over the internet and came across this url:

http://www.racepages.com/products/?Ntt=Jeep+Mirror&N=10856

It seems like this website might contain the replacement mirror, I called the service centre again this time I asked the parts department for the sepcific model and the quote was $940AUD for the part,.... which I am not gonna pay.

But if you look at the prices on the link above, why the hell there is a such big discrepency in the price ? Also, mine is heated mirror, I suppose the mirror model itself varies, am I right?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me auto dimming side mirrors. That's all I need. Tinting the windows helped a bit, bouncing the light back off the window, but still.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, insane...I hate how expensive everything is on these Jeeps. Gotta love Daimler Chrysler for that one...

On a side note....d@mn bicyclists! I hate them! They think they own the road! They are so dangerous. The roads in my area aren't wide enough for them and the cars! It's ridiculous! I had one fall in front of me, and I had to swerve not to hit him. It was bad. They need to go find some sort of trails or something, or get a stationary bike and put it outside. Something...they are a danger to themselves and others. </rant>

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey jeepgirl, sorry, I felt the same way before, but it looks like they own the road just as much as you do. Just like you cannot pass a slow moving truck in front of you, you cannot pass a damn biker just because he is going slow. Of course that doesn't give them right to occupy a lane on the highway, but they can ride on the city street unless they have designated lane.. Such a shame...

Maybe this only applies to NYC.. but that's how it is.!?

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep folding mirrors are c~~p ive got em had them changed under warranty 4 times and now i'm out of warranty i've got one that works when it feels like it and one that folds out but needs a hand to help it fold in. Dealer said they are constantly changing them.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hehehe, that's another thing got booted off to EU along with the frog roof lamps.. :D

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Hehehe, that's another thing got booted off to EU along with the frog roof lamps.. "
Yeah but you've still got George Bush ,and "drive thru" funerals. Ha he ha