Passenger Brake Light Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dystynkt

Reaction score
I noticed on my 08' that the passenger side rear brake light is out. The bulb lights up fine with the tails, but when you hit the brakes it goes out. I had the same exact problem on my old Grand Cherokee and never figured it out. Walked outside just now to grab something from my car and noticd another KK with the exact same problem pulling away. Anyone else have this problem and figure out a fix? Thanks.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried changing out the bulbs yet? Start with the easiest solution first... and go from there.

dystynkt

Reaction score
I will pick up a new pack of bulbs on my way home from work today and try that out. That didn't work on my old Jeep so didn't think it would work here, but worth giving it a shot!

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake lights are a dual filament bulb,one for the tail lights and one for the brake light.Try changing the bulb and cleaning the bulb holder.

X2 on cleaning the holder that happened to me and all it took was cleaning the socket

dystynkt

Reaction score
By chance have you added a hitch and trailer wiring that is not OEM wiring? If so that aftermarket trailer wiring can be at fault also.
No, although I will be very soon.

X2 on cleaning the holder that happened to me and all it took was cleaning the socket
I will definitely clean as well. That could have been the reason a new bulb didn't provide a fix on my old Jeep.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,idea.gif

Check the earth to that light cluster. A couple of bucks says you have a bad earth if the tail light goes out when you hit the brake. Just get a length of wire and with one end hold it against on e of the lamps' metal case and the other end on a known good earth point.

Give it a try...a common problem on a few cars.:cool: