Passenger Airbag Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If no one is sitting in the passenger's seat, should the "Airbag Off" light be on or off. Right now, it flashes on for a few seconds and then turns off. Same thing happens when my wife sits in the passengers seat. However, if I put something like my Grandson's empty car seat, or a bag of groceries on the seat, the light stays on.
Thanks,
Bruce

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats the way mine works, it senses the weight of an object sitting there and if the seat belt is fastened or not. If you have say a bag of groceries on the seat fasten the belt and the light goes out

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the way mine works, it senses the weight of an object sitting there and if the seat belt is fastened or not. If you have say a bag of groceries on the seat fasten the belt and the light goes out

Thanks Tom! My Rene was in an accident prior to me purchasing it. The front bumper and RF fender were replaced (that's why I got it so cheap). The repairs look good other than a few minor cosmetics and I was able to confirm that the air bags didn't deploy. I just wanted to make sure the way the light operated was normal. I'd hate to lose my wife after 32 years of marriage..(bump)
Thanks again,
Bruce

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air bag will be off of no one is sitting in the seat. If you sit something in the seat thats too light to require the air bag it will light up telling you its off.

When someone sits in the seat that is heavy enough it will deploy and the light will remain off.