Parking the KJ, in odd ways.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
Here at work we have a large parking lot, we also have a large amount of vehicles that hog up the parking spaces, so we're allowed to park on the grass. I take advantage of this.

Today I parked my Jeep on a rather steep incline.. it's nose pointing twards the sky. quite a dramatic angle.. you can see all the under side of the Jeep staring at the front, lots of people asking me wtf ect ect.

I was curious as to what (if any) kinda damage can result from parking mah Jeep like this, and leaving it there for the duration of the shift.. nobody cares that it's there, I just wanna make sure it's not gonna hurt anything like shifting of fluids or perhaps in a freak accident the e-brake line snaps and then the parking gear breaks and I find my KJ had rolled down the hill across the 4 lane road and bounced into the ditch on the other side....

It's break time in a few minutes so I'm gonna go move it to a level surface lol..

I also use to park in these huge holes that were forming where the pavement met the grass, and my KJ would be all flexed and crap- but they filled the holes with gravel because of me parking in there.. so now I gotta find different ways to amuse myself.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Personally, I think you're ok. A dealer here had all the JK's, KK's, and KA's parked on a steep grass hill and the KK's flexed out.

Midgear

Reaction score
LOL I should have taken pictures.. didn't cross my mind though. I'll park there again tomorrow and snap some, provided this thread doesn't give negative feedback. wanna make sure I won't damage anything if I do park it like that.

On a side note, when I moved it, didn't need to use 4WD. rear tires almost broke loose- but they held a bite and it climbed up and over :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh...and the LR dealers all park some on the rock course....flexed, and some times with a wheel in the air, and the tire side walls flexing out.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think it will hurt anything.

I have done that a few times.

Dave

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only thing you'd hurt is the feelings of everyone who pulled up in a CRV, RAV-4 or other wanna be who can't do the same thing.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
as long as you arent compressing one of the springs deeply and leaving it there youre ok.

( ie parking it on a snow bank with one wheel shoved up in the wheelwell for 2 hours)

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you arent compressing one of the springs deeply and leaving it there youre ok.

( ie parking it on a snow bank with one wheel shoved up in the wheelwell for 2 hours)
C'mon men... from where do you get such statement? If he have proper bumpstops 2 hours will not do any harm...

And for the OP: park your jeep as you want, as long as your driveway is like the one on the video ...

Last edited:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i did exactly that.. stock.. and permanently squished my drivers rear spring.

perpetually 1" lower than the others..

its a fact happened to me :p

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking will flexed out will sag the coils faster(the ones compressed) and tear(crack) suspension bushings faster also.Parking on a extreme incline/decline does take it's toll on the parking pawl in the auto trans if your parking brake does not work right.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking will flexed out will sag the coils faster(the ones compressed) and tear(crack) suspension bushings faster also.
But if it's just once for a couple of hours... man! I didn't knew that the springs were so fragile... :eek: well... I think I'll park the KJ carefully from now on...

Midgear

Reaction score
well I took a couple of photos, I'll get em uploaded here in a few.

note that the pictures don't do the angle any justice, aside from the suspension showing that alot of the weight is on the back tires.. I was kinda bummed when I took the pictures because it doesn't look near as extreme as it does in person lol.

Midgear

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

if you look at my rear view mirror in this first picture, you can see my badge hanging off of it at an awkward angle lol- it was almost touching the center console cubby lid.

in this last picture you can see where the pavement drops down at a rather steep incline right next to the handicap sign... this is where the KJ was parked. I didn't get a distant shot of it but I can upon request lol

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Onetime while wheelin with my YJ I parked it off camber it on the trail because somebody ahead stopped. The full gas tank began to leak out the gas cap :eek:
I doubt that would ever have on the Libby unless it was an extreme angle.

If you parked any vehicle on an incline, nose up for example, I could see all the fluids flowing to the back of the transmission & engine. The only time it would matter would be in the extreme cold when the oils are thick.

Kinda off topic but has anybody had trouble with their automatic transmissions working properly while driving up a rally steep incline? I've heard the transmissions can "starve" for fluid and slip.

Midgear

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but has anybody had trouble with their automatic transmissions working properly while driving up a rally steep incline? I've heard the transmissions can "starve" for fluid and slip.

nope.. I've driven up some very steep inclines (usually in 4LO) and I've never had any issues.. aside from the evil sadistic grin on my face.