Parking brake sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Liberty. 4 wheel disc with abs.

Yesterday I was entering on to the freeway. As I was about to merge in to traffic at 55 mph I heard a loud thumping noise coming from the back. At first I thought a semi truck came out of nowhere and turned on it's engine brakes. That wasn't the case. I pulled over and looked underneath the jeep looking for obvious signs of something. Nothing caught my eye. I started driving again and no more noise. The noise didn't appear again until this morning. I dropped my wife off at work and the noise was gone.

Later today I wanted to dump off my old oil so I could use my drain pan so I can change my diff fluid. I was thinking there was something wrong with the diff. I started driving to the depot with no troubles. No noises of any kind. I then started driving home and I had the window down. I hear a distinct squeak squeak squeak then thump thump thump. I made it home (wasn't far). Noise quit by the time I got home.

After all of that I took a break. I eventually got around to looking at things. I deciding to pull up on the parking brake. I hear a weird jingle noise from the back and also a weird clunk. I started up the jeep and put it in reverse. It didn't want to move freely. Required a bit of gas to move when normally it would roll on it's own. I pull up on the parking brake a few times and drive forwards and backwards. Eventually the brakes freed up. Went for a drive and things were good for a bit. Eventually the squeak squeak squeak started up. Eventually turned in to a thump thump thump. Jeep felt sluggish and dragging.

So....seems my parking brake is acting up, right? I don't think the main pads are sticking. There is no brake dust on my wheels. The main pads looks fine them selves (didn't look at parking shoes yet). The rear passenger wheel was very hot while the drivers side was just hot (not too hot but hotter than the fronts). I can also smell burning brakes faintly.

Basically what I need to know is what do I do now? I've done brakes before on older vehicles but nothing with abs. Is there some way I can disconnect the parking brake? I don't use the thing anyway.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the parking barke shoes came apart(lining coming off the shoes),common issue when the parking brake is not used often.

Nothing different about doing brakes on a vehicle with ABS,well at least a KJ with ABS,unless you replace major items like the master cylinder or ABS pump.If you've done brakes before the rear will be a cake walk,should take longer to remove the wheels/tires then change the rear brakes.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine is an 05 with 4 wheel discs also.

When I did my rear brakes the e-brake linings that were paper thin just fell off the shoes. There was just nothing left of the brake material. They don't last anywhere as long as the main brake pads. (I do use the e-brakes parking on hills and such but not on flat ground so I don't know if that had anything to do with mine having no pads left)

I replaced everything and they are working fine since.

Dave

Last edited:

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to look closer at things today. I couldn't get the rotors off. I did adjust the parking brake star adjuster thing so the pads were off of the drum. No more thumping or squeaks now. At least I'll be able to drive it until I get a dead blow hammer and some pb blaster.

I did beat on the rotor (near the studs and not on the braking surface) with a rubber mallet (all I have for now). Nothing other than dust fell out of behind the rotor. No parts or anything fell out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get a 3lb sledge hammer, works great on rotors. Got them off my LR3 with just a tap. My deadblow wasn't cutting it quick enough. Didn't damage the rotor either if that matters.