Parasitic draw?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruzty

Reaction score
2006 Liberty Limited 3.7

Hi,
out of blue my jeep would not start on a superstore parking
Nothing promised that.
I had to jump start it
It does charge (14.7V)
Battery itself was 11V
Checked for parasitic draw.
In amp mode my multimeter shows 0.15
If I pull out #7 50A JB POWER fuse from PDC it shows zero draw
This led me to #34 15A fuse inside dash fuse box.
Now I wander if this draw is allowable standby draw?
I wanna hope it is just a battery, that it's time has come.

Regards,
Ruzty

Attachments

• 7a02966d.jpg
    7a02966d.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 8

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery should be more than 11. Mines usually around 12.5.
That 14.7 for charging actually sounds a bit high too. I'd suspect the battery is about to crap out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
"Cold" Mother Nature has her own way of providing a free load test of your battery!
54765[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Even With a new fully charged Battery at -17.8C you only have 40% of the original CCA available and it takes 210% to start.
This is why you need a good fresh battery with clean & tight terminals rated at 800CCA + in Winnipeg.
Canadian Tire has a few good AGM (absorb glass matt) batteries. They are sealed & won't vent or cause any corrosion to your terminals.
This Motormaster Ultra made by Exide, I paid $179+tx for and is rated at 770CCA yet on a $3000 Midtronics load tester can crank 979 CCA!!
54767[/ATTACH]"]

The Jeep does have some active monitoring/parasitic draw from monitoring alarm,computer etc.
I bet with my battery, I could let the Jeep sit for 2 weeks, & it will still start at -20c. :gr_grin:
The Ice Truck @-40!
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42EGjL2M03s

Attachments

• Battery%20Cold%20Information.jpg
    Battery%20Cold%20Information.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Midtronics%20Load%20Test%20CT%20AGM.jpg
    Midtronics%20Load%20Test%20CT%20AGM.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd better check my battery tomorrow. My 12.5 volts sounds a bit low now too. Although started fine when temp was a balmy 12F this morning. Should be the same tomorrow.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You could make your battery excited & very happy, by connecting it to a trickle charger overnight!~:gr_grin: :icon_lol:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fully charged lead/acid battery should read 12.6 volts,12.8 volts for flat plate AGM,and 12.9 volts for Optima's only.Should also only test a battery that is between 60-70 degrees and that has set for 12 hours with zero load on it(before or after charging).

For the OP the normal draw is about 50ma,any more after letting vehicle set for 15min+(no key in vehicle and all doors shut) is to much.Some vehicles can take up to 15mins for some computers to go into "sleep mode".

As far as charging lead/acid like between 13.2v-14.5v,and AGM's like 14.9v for the best charge.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fully charged lead/acid battery should read 12.6 volts,12.8 volts for flat plate AGM,and 12.9 volts for Optima's only.Should also only test a battery that is between 60-70 degrees and that has set for 12 hours with zero load on it(before or after charging).

As far as charging lead/acid like between 13.2v-14.5v,and AGM's like 14.9v for the best charge.

Feelin' pretty good about it now. Mines an old timey lead/acid so I guess I'm good to go. Actually did test it a couple weeks ago when the temps were about 65 and after it had been sitting overnight. Also, last check, mine charges at about 14.3v.

Guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :gr_grin:

Last edited:

ruzty

Reaction score
My jeepe is stored in the basement parking. So by the time we got to superstore engine was warmed up good. It sat outside for 40 min. The ambient temperature was around -10 C. So the cold is out of the equasion, i think

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ruzty, go get your battery load tested, then you will know.

I have to say that overall I am very happy with Kj's charging system!
With the Flat plate AGM from scan gauge, reports 14.9 most of the time when I first fire it up, and settles down to around 14.6v overall.
Once a month for general battery maintenance, I still like to manually trickle charge the batteries.
Short trips, frequent starts, don't really cut it for proper charging.
Yesterday I charged the sedan overnight.
54771[/ATTACH]"]

It definitely liked the 14.7v output from the C-Tek !!

Attachments

• C-Tek%20Charging%20Odyssey.jpg
    C-Tek%20Charging%20Odyssey.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old and what type is the OP's battery? I seem to get about 4-5 years average out of the lead/acid types in my 5 vehicles. I really should take better care of my batteries like LibertyTC does cause they ain't cheap.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try replacing your ignition switch, your problem sounds like the one I had when my ignition switch went bad.