painting wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any tips on this?
i wanted to paint my aluminum factory wheels black to go with the black jeep, probably a satin black, any special brands of paint or prep methods?

some of the clear is starting to separate on my wheels near the center caps so i know i will have to sand that off... maybe get the whole wheel sandblasted...?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Prep them like anything else you would want to paint, sand good, clean them well and light coats to get them started Not hard to do just take your time and do it right

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i kinda figured it would be an "as usual type of job"
thanks

is wheel paint worth it? it is probably harder/more durable?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Duplicolor wheel paint on my OEM steelies last spring. They have a graphite color that almost matches the fender flares on my Sport. Turned put pretty well. As Tom mentioned, it's all in the prep; preperation is actually more important than the paint used.

Note: the Duplicolr requires a 7 day cure time. I missed that part of the instructions when I did mine, and now have a little cracking around the lug holes:disgust: Nobody else can see it, but I noticed it when I rotated the tires a few weeks ago. I also now have a small chip in one wheel (about the size of an M+M) from bouncing it off a rock while wheeling. If I did it over, which I might this spring, I would use a primer base, probably with the same paint.
Or better yet, I may powder coat them.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is best to remove the tires and paint the entire wheel. But the outside can be done with the tires installed using the "playing card method" of masking.

I think there is a "how-to" thread showing it, but I can't seem to find it right now. Basically you stick playing cards around the outside of the wheel, wedged between the rim and the tire.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Before and after of my Wrangler Rubicon Moabs
if that helps any, did them in a flat black
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach