P2317 Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bboyyumm

Reaction score
2004 3.7 150k miles. Battery died about a week ago after replacing it, a few days later KJ started to idle with a small vibration then a larger vibration. Smoothed out then while driving at around 23 hundred RPMS sputters out.. Check engine code comes up as P2317.. Checked the code and ran down the list of possible problems.

Thus far I have replaced the TPS...battery... ignition coil and spark plug... ASD relay (after replacing ASD relay check engine light shut off and KJ ran smooth for about a mile soon as I hit 23 Hundred RPMS started sputtering again and light returned)... cleaned the throttle body and ran injector cleaner... checked the ignition wires for damage checked the plugs for leaking fluids and the ignition boots for damage but still the problem persist. I even tried swapping coils and spark plugs to different cylinders to investigate any problems with the new coil or plug gap..(Gapped at .035) Now pulling a P2302 code.. Any advice on this issue would be GREATLY appreciated. And yes I have searched the forums high and low for answers found some clues to this but no definite solutions yet I would just like to fix this myself if possible..:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

* Intermittent condition
* Cylinder No. 6 spark plug or wire is damaged or it has failed
* Ignition Coil No. 6 is damaged or it has failed
* Ignition coil control circuit is open or shorted to ground
* ASD relay output circuit problems
* PCM has failed

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug gap should be 0.040"-0.042" and copper core plugs only,platinum or iridum plugs have know to cause this type of issue.

If you swapped the coil and still the same code it's not the coil pack.Start tracing the wiring back to the PCM from that coil pack.If that wiring is 100% good then the only thing left is a bad PCM.

Bboyyumm

Reaction score
The plug gap should be 0.040"-0.042" and copper core plugs only,platinum or iridum plugs have know to cause this type of issue.

If you swapped the coil and still the same code it's not the coil pack.Start tracing the wiring back to the PCM from that coil pack.If that wiring is 100% good then the only thing left is a bad PCM.

^^ Thanks! Oddly enough before your reply I was considering pm'ing you.. lol and your Kj is the most awesomest!

Bboyyumm

Reaction score
So after all of my attempts to figure out this problem I threw my hands up and went to a local shop that was referred to me for honest work. (Something I failed to mention in my initial post was I took the KJ to have the brakes resurfaced and new pads to an unfamiliar brake shop a few days prior to my problem.) Whenever I take a vehicle to someone else for repairs or maintenance I try to make sure I watch what is being done for both learning purposes as well as sabotage. To make a long story short the shady brake place broke pins out of the ignition cable clips and also emptied the coolant from the jeep while on the receipt for the brake work suggested I get a coolant/radiator treatment done and tune up!!! ( I knew something was fishy because I had just refilled coolant maybe a week before!) I also saw the salesman and owner whispering to each other and giving each other daps as the salesman jumped from customer to customer!!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after all of my attempts to figure out this problem I threw my hands up and went to a local shop that was referred to me for honest work. (Something I failed to mention in my initial post was I took the KJ to have the brakes resurfaced and new pads to an unfamiliar brake shop a few days prior to my problem.) Whenever I take a vehicle to someone else for repairs or maintenance I try to make sure I watch what is being done for both learning purposes as well as sabotage. To make a long story short the shady brake place broke pins out of the ignition cable clips and also emptied the coolant from the jeep while on the receipt for the brake work suggested I get a coolant/radiator treatment done and tune up!!! ( I knew something was fishy because I had just refilled coolant maybe a week before!) I also saw the salesman and owner whispering to each other and giving each other daps as the salesman jumped from customer to customer!!!

Brake shop turds....................Is it back to normal running now?

Dave