P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings All!

I am getting a P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction on the KJ. From what I have read it is a pretty simple fix. Almost as simple as unplugging it and plugging it back in nice and snug. I have also read that it might be a problem with the cruise control? Has anyone heard of that before? Is it a simple fix?

string

Reaction score
[Update] I reset the mil/cel and started to drive the 180 mile drive home with the cruise control off and it came back on in about 70 miles. got home and then drove another 70 miles. next morning the mil/cel was off. drove the 180 miles back to work and it came back on. anybody ever have this code? and does this mean that My transmission is going to fail? My 05 libby has 171,000 miles on her.
Thanks

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That code can result in a simple fix - or a rebuild. :shakehead:

Best advice I can give: Go to a good, reputable trans shop and have them put your Jeep on their transmission scanner. It will read deeper into the issue than a standard scanner will - stuff like CVI's (Clutch Volume Index numbers) which indicate if clutch packs are going bad. They look at other components too.

These ******'s don't usually throw codes for easy fixes - best to begin budgeting for a replacement or rebuild. But your Libby has given you 171,000 miles on the original - not bad at all!

Bob

string

Reaction score
Update!

Update!!

Well it finally happened, coming home from work last night at around 11:00PM
(I drive 100 miles to work) My Transmission blew up! I found a used one with low miles for about $700.00 now I just have to find somebody to swap it for Me.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!!

Well it finally happened, coming home from work last night at around 11:00PM
(I drive 100 miles to work) My Transmission blew up! I found a used one with low miles for about $700.00 now I just have to find somebody to swap it for Me.

Bummer! :icon_evil:

Swapping in the trans is not that difficult. Hopefully a shop owner with integrity will work with you.

By the way: Make SURE they use only ATF+4 transmission fluid. I'd suggest buying it yourself and giving it to them with the transmission so you're sure you're not getting a fresh ****** that will blow up in short order cuz the shop used the wrong fluid.

Bob