P0171 & P0174 Power loss (running lean)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys my KJ started acting up the other day. at first i thought the ****** was slipping i was towing a double jetski trailer in a mountainous area with the KJ packed full of SH** so i needed a little extra power. when i would lay into it for a 3-2 downshift it would rev up and shudder. later i couldn't make it above 45 MPH on the highway and it was sputtering and straining real bad. I later pulled the error codes with my shi**y old obd2 scanner it threw p0174, p0171 and 2 vacumn leak codes. Ive had vacumn leaks for a while. i found them all and repaired them yesterday knowing that they could contribute to the problem some. Since doing this the problem isn't as bad and i can drive on the highway and everything but it still hesitates some and has power loss. It still throws P0171 & P0171 but not the vacumn leak codes. My next question is the day before we left for this trip my brother dumped a 5 gallon can of gas in my jeep that was removed from an old jet boat i have been working on. The gas from that jet boat had remains of old fuel lines broken down into saind grain sized particles and had been sitting for about a year and was contributing to the boat not running. If you cut the kj off at a stop light and restart it right before the light turns green it runs normally again for anywhere from 5-40 mins. my question is is it possible the old dirty gas stopped up the fuel filter and shutting it off relieves some pressure from the fuel system temporarily unstopping the fuel filter partially? anyone had a similar issue?

THANKS!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be draining the gas tank and changing both fuel filters(sock on the pump and the one above the pump assembly) and add fresh and clean gas.

Common sense says if it prevented a boat engine from running it will cause issues in your KJ.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh I figured that was probably the issue. I let him use my jeep that day and it was almost out of gas and he dumped that in instead of going to a gas station... what a pita. Probaby the issue as I dumped in a bunch of that b12 chemtool fuel system cleaner and it has gotten better with running that through. It still has slight power loss. I'm going to drop the tank asap THANKS!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk 2